Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How'd yall's season go?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How'd yall's season go?

Well season ended here Jan. 31st got a button head during muzzleloader season got a doe about 3 weeks into rifle season then about a week later got a spike. Not much to brag about but its meat in the freezer lol. So how'd your 2011-2012 season go?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Spike

Well ok for me didn't get to go until Christmas Eve, saw a 4 point that day and didn't take my 30-30 with a scope (no idea what I was thinking) and had to try to stand up in my tree-stand seat, and shoot backwards around the HUGE tree I had my stand attached too.

Christmas day took a big doe, (for around here that is), stupidly didn't sight in my scope , that I didn't take the day before, it was off almost 6-8 inches at 100 yards and that was about my shot, hit her in the back had to climb out of my stand real quick, run up and put her down, felt horrible that I didn't get a clean kill on her.

For my father ok could have been way better.

We run a Hardwood Forest Preserve, here in Tennessee and sell memberships for people to use it to ride ATV, hike, camp, fish, etc, Only select people we know get to hunt, he set up his spot, and has been putting corn out there since July-August, scouted it, watched the Deer for months, picked out his buck, an 8 pointer good sized, small rack, prime picking though. First day of deer season he gets a call from one of the HWFP members asking if there is anything they should know about hunting out there ?

Keeping a Long story shorter lol, the guy shot the 8 point Buck out of my old mans stand on opening day. Broke his heart. ( He did eventually get a 4 point and a doe.)

That being said, Season is now over, and There is still plenty of deer for next years harvest.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

First off I didn't go out during our bow season just wasn't up for it .I did go out during our shotgun season ,I shot a 6 pter that was the only buck i saw.Went out during our muzzleloader season was going to try and get a doe but didn't seen one deer untill the last day .That morn i seen 3 doe's but to much brush between me and them so i let them walk ,threen that evening went to a new woods i got permission to hunt jump up 7 but no shot cause i won't shoot at a running deer .That about it for as my hunting season went this year hope next season goes better .
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

I saw fewer deer this season than any in the past 15 years but I can not complain because I killed yhe biggest deer and the 3rd biggest deer that I have ever killed. With that said I had my best season ever!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

I went out opening weekend with my dad like we do every year (Callaway County, MO). I shot a decent buck opening morning. Spotted him at 220 yards waited and watched him for probably 20 minutes as he walked into about 160 yards. Took one clean shot with my Marlin .30-30 (love this rifle). I thought he was a nice 8 point but when I got to him, he had broken an his right antler off so was a nice 4 point. I would say 2 or 3 years old. I would have gladly let him pass if I would have noticed his broken antler (he walked broadside the whole way). Nevertheless, had a great season, I go for the memories and meat in the freezer.

Last edited by mw_Guerilla; 02-02-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

my season was great i shot 4 does and a 7 point a 5pt and a 8pt too bad we lost our farm for next year tho
Old 02-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

My biggest buck ever, and with the bow! Nice 8 point. Passed on a few other does during archery and firearm. I did see a monster that I had no idea existed in my area, twice! Gives me great hope for next season!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Spike

Gun season in November was terrible because of the bad weather both weekends. But two days after Christmas I killed my first buck ever with my bow. He was a nice and heavy 9 pointer so that was definitely a great ending to my season. Looking back I'm glad I didn't see much with my gun.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Spike

I had a great season...this was my first season ever!!! I've always wanted to go hunting, and just never had the opportunity. I finally took matters into my own hands and went During the summer I took the hunter's safety course (felt kinda silly as a 23yo girl with all those little ranch boys who knew way more about firearms than I did). I spent quite a bit of time out at the range target shooting and learning about the rifles. Then I spent the first part of the season going out to the field with my "guides" (my best friend and her husband) to observe and learn.

I finally took my very first deer She's just a little doe fawn, but I was thrilled with her. I tracked, spotted, shot, drug, field dressed, skinned, and processed her. I loved the whole experience, and have definitely found a lifelong activity. So just one little doe fawn for me, but I'd consider it a wonderful season!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Colorado muzzleloader was bad, only 3 good days of weather rest it rained hailed and foggy. Missed 1 bear and seen 6 others. Seen 7 bulls, 2 were legal but couldn't get in range. Seen a lot of deer no tag though.

PA rifle season was ok. Saw some bucks but very few does. Ended up killing a scrub rack. It put some meat in the freezer so I was happy. Three more months until I start scouting for muzzleloader again. Can't wait!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.