Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

my rifle miss fired this year

Old 01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
all you guys, was there freezing weather?
no sir it was not freezing.

by the way I am a Remington guy. I own 2 wingmasters a 20 and 12 and 2 1100s a 20 and a 28.

IMO the 870 wingmaster is the best pump gun ever made. and the same goes for the 1100 in semi auto.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Spike

I have owned a 700 for around fifteen years and never had a problem with it, In fact i just bought another one last year. Im not for or against remington not changing the design earlier. Im against the idiots who handled the rifle and killed someone. Anything mechanical can and will FAIL.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Duck7604---Did you not read that link in it's entirety? I don't know how you can make those statements if you did!!! Remington could have taken care of the problem they knew existed for decades and didn't do it strictly to enhance the bottom line---profits Sir!!! That link is by far the best I've ever read on this subject and I wish everyone with a Remington that was made before they changed the trigger design a few years ago could read it. It definitively states that any one of those rifles with the Walker trigger can go off no matter how well the rifle has been taken care of because of it's intrinsic poor design! There have been THOUSANDS of instances of the rifles firing and thank God in all but a very few instances the gun was pointed in a safe direction. There was one instance where a lady thought she had her's pointed in a safe direction when she went to unload it and it went off. The bullet went clear through a trailer and killed her son who was on the far side. Don't tell me that would never happen to you because that could happen to any of us! Even if the rifle was pointed at the ground when it went off it would have been possible for a richochet to do harm to persons or property. That is why anyone who has one of those older rifles made before the trigger mechanism was changed a few years ago should do what that gunsmith stated and have it replaced with a reliable trigger mechanism. It really burns my rearend when people say: "I've had my 700 for years and nothing has ever happened" like you just did after being given the facts and then even worse come up with that assinine statement: "I'm against the idiots who handled the rifle and killed someone!". It's people like you that it will probably happen to next and God forbid where it will be pointed when it happens!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-12-2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Well...I won't be pulling my Remington 270 up the tree with the safety on anymore..DANG!! I never heard of anything like this before..
Old 01-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Chuck, good idea. As mentioned before though.... Mechanical things do fail! Although I do it, WE ALL KNOW it is a bad idea to climb a tree or pull up a rifle while the chamber is loaded, whether the safety is on or not. We all know that, but many people are lazy, including myself most of the time. The #1 rule of safety is keep the barrel in a safe direction. If that rule is always followed, there should be no "accidents"
-Jake
Old 01-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Well...I won't be pulling my Remington 270 up the tree with the safety on anymore..DANG!! I never heard of anything like this before..
jesus H!!!...its a rule. always a bad idea to have a round in the chamber doin this. i think its right after, "dont pull the trigger to see if the gun is safe."
Old 01-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Topgun 3006..
While I strongly agree Rem is guilty, knows of the problem and has known it for years and Rem has had law suits and had to pay up.
They can't even get that Remington Underfire Report off the air they are so guilty..
But A safe direction to point a gun is not a building, vehicle , trailer..
Yes bullets ricochet...
But she was pointing directly at the trailer.. No excuse for that firearm behavior what so ever..
She is at fault.. If my wife did that and killed one of my kids..
I wouldn't stop punching her face in...
I'd more than likely kill her right there..
Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

It's NOT A MIS-FIRE. It's an unintentional discharge, or accidential discharge.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure not going to argue that she or the others where there was an injury or death and the firearm was pointed at someone weren't partially at fault. What I'm getting at is that the rifle could just as easily be pointed at the ground and a richochet could hit an unintended victim or it could be pointed up in the air and the bullet could come down and kill somebody a mile or two away. Both those scenarios would be where the firearm is pointed away from anything the carrier didn't intend to shoot, but something bad happened. My point is that no matter how careful we are, a firearm should not go off unless the trigger is pulled and that is not the case with the 700 series with the old Walker trigger.