Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let one walk today, surprised at reaction >

Let one walk today, surprised at reaction

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let one walk today, surprised at reaction

Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Let one walk today, surprised at reaction

I live for deer hunting and do it multiple times a week from Sept thru January. I have a small freezer and was lucky enough to get a nice buck in Nov so the freezer is full. I still go out though as I love it so much that if a bruiser comes along, I would take it and donate the meat. I'm not a trophy hunter and if the freezer is empty after Thanksgiving, first doe I see is going down to get the meat. Anyway, the deer have shut down the last few weeks where I'm at and I havent seen one for 2 weeks. We have a late 2 day firearm season today and tomorrow so I took the muzzleloader out today. I had plans to take a doe to give to my buddy who wanted the meat if I even saw one. Well sure enough, a nice doe came out around 7:30 at 90yd. I had a perfect shot and the hammer back and ready to go....but I couldn't pull it. I watched her for a minute before she darted back in the woods and on her way. I don't know why but I didn't want to take her. I think laziness of the work afterwards was in the back of my mind but I convinced myself that if she made it this far into the season, she deserves a pass. I mean the first deer I've seen in weeks, they are good and she just happened to slip. I'd like to think in a few years I'll get a nice buck and convince myself it was her offspring
Anyway, I told a few people at work and the reaction stunned me. "Why do you bother to go out if you won't shoot?" "You turned into an old man." (im 31). "You're not a hunter" etc. 95% of these people are non hunters and they didn't come close to understanding my explanations. I don't know why but it put me in a foul mood today so I had to vent a bit.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

Hey, you're the Hunter here. YOU decide to squeeze the trigger or not.
If you DID, I may be just the guy to bust your stones about being desperate.
But NOT pulling the trigger.... forget about them.

Nothing wrong with letting them walk. YOU have to live with the benefits AND consequences, not your co-workers.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 AM
Spike

You're 31 and obviously have been hunting long enough to know when and what to shoot. I would say your decision proves that you are a true "hunter". Yes, you will be rewarded for that one day. I didn't become a good hunter until I started letting deer walk. Nothing wrong with shooting them, it is all part of the process of growing and maturing.

Besides, there is a good chance she has been bred already and if you shot her you would probably be killing 3 deer. I'm of the mindset that you should shoot does early in the season and let the rest of them breed to pass the genes on.

CJ
Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

I have passed on a shot far more often than not. The most notable was the regular season opener here 5 or 6 years ago. After spending 6-9 am in a tree I had convinced myself it was a bust and started back to the house; halfway there a nice buck stood up at 40 yds or so, facing away from me, and shook the dew off which caught the sun and formed a mini rainbow just above his back. I really couldn't envision sending a slug his way just as he was waking up, so I stood. He finally did glance my way before trotting off . I've never regretted that.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed myself out there today too. Cold and a great quiet morning with a nice sunrise. No one in the woods so I was just enjoying it all. I've passed on many deer too and really had intentions of taking a doe today, I think thats why people were busting my chops. Oh well. Funny thing is, 2 weeks from now if I get cabin fever and am out there with the bow and I get a shot, I just may take it but today, it wasn't for me
Old 01-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Theres a lotta reasons for letting deer walk, full freezer, waiting for bigger ones, QDM reasons etc....I do it almost every time Im out.I have found though for me the most common reason is the hardest to explain to people that dont hunt or people that simply want to fill thier freezer every year.Its maybe selfish but I simply dont want to tag out.

My time in the field is more important to me than filling a tag.Once its filled Im done for the year.People hunt for different reasons, I guesse i like the experience and the time alone.Hard to explain to someone who hasnt put the time in or just wants to kill a deer.Hell I cant explain it here, Ive typed and erased about 3 paragraphs now that just sounded rambling trying to explain it.Bottom line is you dont have to justify what you shoot or dont shoot to anyone else as long as its legal and your happy with your deciscion.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

I've let the largest deer I've ever seen east of the Appalachian Mountains walk 4 times this year (including last night).

Each time I kick myself and say I could have safely made the shot. And then I worry someone else will shoot him.

But the truth is, each time there was something about the shot that wasn't perfect (farm equipment behind him, farmers cattle in front of him, wrong angle, etc.). Last night, I had the best opportunity, and tried to get it done. But at the end of the shooting light, I decided not to shoot him.

Don't let anyone else second guess your best judgment. Your hunting, not randomly slaughtering. You pick the target and the time, and when the stars and moon align in the way YOU WANT THEM TOO then you choose to shoot or not to shoot.

As far as why do I go . . . . because the peace and quiet of sitting in a stand and communing with nature. And seeing all there is to see. Looking at the light as the sun sets. Looking at the animals. Birds (I had a woodpecker land 10 feet above my head last night) is more therapeutic than anything else I can imagine.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by countertop

Don't let anyone else second guess your best judgment. Your hunting, not randomly slaughtering. You pick the target and the time, and when the stars and moon align in the way YOU WANT THEM TOO then you choose to shoot or not to shoot.

As far as why do I go . . . . because the peace and quiet of sitting in a stand and communing with nature. And seeing all there is to see. Looking at the light as the sun sets. Looking at the animals. Birds (I had a woodpecker land 10 feet above my head last night) is more therapeutic than anything else I can imagine.
Amen to that!

Hey, its your call...do what your gut says. You'll never regret that. I let a ton of deer walk every year, not one time have I ever regretted it. I shoot what I feel like, when I feel like it and don't worry about what anyone else says or thinks.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

I finally got thru to my son that he will not truly enjoy deer hunting till he starts letting them walk. and I have to say at 16yo he is such a better hunter than I was at that age. You don't need to shoot every deer that comes by and now that your freezer is full there is no need to.

And with what you said about all the work. I feel good when I am able to help someone out with meat. It makes me feel good but let it be my idea. Your buddy asked for the meat and to me that is different. hours on stand, money for tags and gear, tracking, gutting, dragging.... it is alot of work.

So shoot what you want too but enjoy it all.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Spike

In my opinion that is great and a great feeling letting deer go especially after having them in the cross hairs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.