Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
When do you see the most deer? >

When do you see the most deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When do you see the most deer?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrl0004
I have noticed a steady enough trend that I am almost through hunting in the early morning. I never see deer on morning hunts, even when it's cold. On the hunts from mid-afternoon to dark, I have seen the most deer. In fact, every deer I ever shot was right before dark.

I know that in the morning they are heading to bed down or are out moving to keep warm if it's cold. Maybe it's due to the screwy weather here in Alabama that past couple of year, where it's warmer than it should be coupled with good acorn crops that keep them in the woods. Just curious if anyone has noticed a trend.
Trend yep - Evening no!

Hunt food plots and agriculture fields. I see most deer on cold mornings where there is a frost on the ground, little wind and no moon the night before.

The deer will come out and feed in the places where the rising sun starts to burn off the frost.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 AM
Spike

I see the most in peoples front yards on my way to the hunting grounds, before sunrise and on my way home, after sunset. HAHA..........grrrrr.....ehh thats hunting!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

I don't even go early morning anymore. Trail cams also tell me they rarely move early morning most likely due to the wolves. They used to move first light. Now when they move it's 2-4 hrs after first light. Night is better.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default Like most have said...

a lot goes into what, why, when, you see deer. Me, I have morning stands, midday stands, evening stands. With that said, time of year( feeding or rut), what happened to them during the night (yotes, bear, wolves) moving them around. Wind direction. Hunters walking and pushing them, scent. Jeez I could go on. My advice is find a site with all the welcome signs, set up a stand 25' or higher, get in it and watch them starting in early spring (before the leaves) thru the summer. Watch for travel with different wind directions, where buck clubs come in and out, doe packs travel and so on. In other words, gotta be dedicated and do the hard work, there are no answers on the internet for YOUR "particular" position, just have to do the work, or chance it and get lucky, it's your time, use it wisely.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mrl0004
I have noticed a steady enough trend that I am almost through hunting in the early morning. I never see deer on morning hunts, even when it's cold. On the hunts from mid-afternoon to dark, I have seen the most deer. In fact, every deer I ever shot was right before dark.

I know that in the morning they are heading to bed down or are out moving to keep warm if it's cold. Maybe it's due to the screwy weather here in Alabama that past couple of year, where it's warmer than it should be coupled with good acorn crops that keep them in the woods. Just curious if anyone has noticed a trend.
My prefered method of hunting mature bucks is to set up close to where they bed because they don't move far from bedding in daylight. What I have noticed over the years is most big bucks are bedded before legal shooting in the mornings (outside of the rut) So to combat this, I only hunt mornings when a moonphase or wether condition tells me that bucks will be arriving at the bed later than usual.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

seeing them all over while squirrel huntin... here in the thick wooded areas, seems there up and down all day..... meaning eat some, sleep some....
Old 01-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Spike

I used to see a whole bunch of traveling to and from bedding and feeding areas during early morning or just before last light on days that the barometric pressure was quickly dropping to the 30 mark (or around that) I would purposely sit in those travel route stands on days when I knew this was happening. I also would notice deer where out in clover,wheat and sometimes corn fields about 2 days before a low pressure system would be on its way. I use to notice this activity on those days anywhere from 40 minutes before last light. It just seemed like they came out of the woodwork on those days. I really don't know why? I didn't see this the day before a big storm system or even the night of. It seemed to happen the most when it was 2 days before.

Anyways, since I don't live in upstate NY anymore, the place I see the most deer is usually at Bass Pro shop.