HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Do you keep all your antlers? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/356530-do-you-keep-all-your-antlers.html)

WNYhunter 01-04-2012 06:27 PM

Do you keep all your antlers?

A couple years ago I was picking meat up at the butchers and on his hide trailer there was an 8pt. I asked the guy if the hunter wanted them and was told no. So I cut them off for a little set of rattleing horns.

So here is my question... Do you guys keep all the antler sets you get from deer you have shot?

I do, from spikes on up. They keep that day alive for me and for every set I can tell you exactly what happened. I know some guys are there just for the meat and I get that but that was a decent little 8pt..

deernutz 01-04-2012 06:50 PM

Always. I guess it kinda seems wrong to me to throw them. i understand there are poeple who really don't care and thats there choice, but I keep them and they have a nice place on my wall.

Master Chief 01-04-2012 07:03 PM

Antlers amuse me no matter how big they are. Idk why but that's the way I am. Even if ever find a spike shed Ill keep it.

IntroC 01-04-2012 07:05 PM

Same here. Keep every set. When I was a kid my dad took me to a guys house that he worked with. This guy and his wife and kids all hunted and between the four of them acquired an impressive amount of antlers from spikes all the way up to some real wall hangers. He had the main room in his basement completely lined with deer antlers that he and his family have killed. It made quite an impession on me.

tight360 01-04-2012 07:08 PM

Not really.....

Originally Posted by WNYhunter (Post 3897805)
A couple years ago I was picking meat up at the butchers and on his hide trailer there was an 8pt. I asked the guy if the hunter wanted them and was told no. So I cut them off for a little set of rattleing horns.

So here is my question... Do you guys keep all the antler sets you get from deer you have shot?

I do, from spikes on up. They keep that day alive for me and for every set I can tell you exactly what happened. I know some guys are there just for the meat and I get that but that was a decent little 8pt..

Kept my first buck, an 8 inch spike. Did the european thing, hung the entire skull in a tree for 2 years, it now hangs in my shop. I ve kept two 120's (127" 8, 122" 9) for rattlers. My nephew got my 142" 10 point. As for the rest, people ask for them and I give them away, I don't need them. I've shot 17 bucks.

salukipv1 01-04-2012 07:13 PM

well I would regardless of size, but then again I don't shoot dinks. I think all of my antlers I've ever shot are mounted on the wall... on shoulder mounts...

mrl0004 01-04-2012 07:18 PM

I have only shot two, a spike and an 8pt. I have both of them and don't imagine I would ever not want them for something. Always something you could do with them. Make knives, etc...

JagMagMan 01-04-2012 08:02 PM

I have kept all of mine over the years. Most of the better ones are on the wall, others I keep boxed up. Some I have used to make knick-knacks with.

scribe 01-05-2012 02:23 AM

I have a friend that makes antler items such as pens and lamps etc. I give him anything I am not going to use in some way myself. I cleaned out a pile in the garage last year and had room for my riding mower and a happier wife.

Wingbone 01-05-2012 02:33 AM

I've kept mine. Fortunately most of them can fit in a shoebox:) I've started making buttons and toggle closures out of them.