Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

whats a good, cheap sluggun?

Old 01-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Spike

Question whats a good, cheap sluggun?

im looking to get a slug gun for the areas i hunt in PA that are shotgun only...im in college and dont have a pile of money to spend. im looking at 20 gauges because i hear they are as good, if not beter than 12 gauge? is that true?

-single shot, boltt or pump?
-how much can i get a nice gun for?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PAnative
im looking to get a slug gun for the areas i hunt in PA that are shotgun only...im in college and dont have a pile of money to spend. im looking at 20 gauges because i hear they are as good, if not beter than 12 gauge? is that true?

-single shot, boltt or pump?
-how much can i get a nice gun for?
Go to pawn shops.
A used shotgun will be 1/2 the cost of a new one.
If you can find a combo, with a smoth bore, and a rifled barrel.
That would be the one to get.
I like Winchester, but most brands are good.
The guy at the pawn shop can help you pick out the right gun for you.

Good Luck.

jrbsr
Old 01-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Pawnshop that's a bingo...

I bought my H&R U SH at a pawnshop for $129, very very accurate.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

go with a mossberg 500 field. i picked mine up for about $300 with a smoothbore, 2 choke, a rifled barrel, and a scope. Mossbergs are indestructible.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

A good gun and cheap, wouldn't we all want to find that.

A better question is what gun setup would I need to make it happen. I'm in college and don't have the time or money to waste on a gun that won't let me hit what I'm aiming at the first time I get the chance, which won't be often?

Shot gun-rifled barrel-scope-good ammo will get you started.

I have a Mossberg 500 12ga., rifled barrel, Bushnell Elite scope and use Remington Copper Solid or Winchester Partion Gold sabot slugs. When I put the hairs on something it's getting plugged. You have less than a minute to make a years worth of preparation count, a few bucks more to ensure it happens just makes sense. Also have a HR single shot 20ga. with a rifled barrel and Elite scope. Both can reach just about anything seen in the woods. Drilled a yotes head with the 12ga. @ 130 yrds.

Wanna waste time or kill deer? Not killing it is a huge waste of time and money.

Get the best you can get, it doesn't loose value.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nodog
A good gun and cheap, wouldn't we all want to find that.

A better question is what gun setup would I need to make it happen. I'm in college and don't have the time or money to waste on a gun that won't let me hit what I'm aiming at the first time I get the chance, which won't be often?
i have hunted (or had the option to hunt) every single day of every season since i have been in college. I have more time than i know what to do with! I have also bought 3 guns since in college, all under $450 and 2 were brand new...one had 20 shots through it.

My plan, for the 4th time, is to take my time, look around and gain some info on some guns and find another sweet deal
Old 01-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dicks Sporting Goods normally has the Mossberg 500 combo (field barrel and a rifled/cantilever barrel) for roughly $300 in either 20ga or 12ga. I would go with a 20ga., get yourself a decent price scope, a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 is good
Old 01-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by PAnative
i have hunted (or had the option to hunt) every single day of every season since i have been in college. I have more time than i know what to do with! I have also bought 3 guns since in college, all under $450 and 2 were brand new...one had 20 shots through it.

My plan, for the 4th time, is to take my time, look around and gain some info on some guns and find another sweet deal
Your plan for the forth time? Sorry I don't follow you around, must have missed your life story. Then your asking in the wrong place, you should be in the "Wanted need good cheap shotgun section". I didn't get that you were asking if anyone had one had a sweet deal to let you in on.

I have 2 kids in college and they don't have a lot of free time. Have a future son inlaw that's in college and he doesn't have a lot of free time. I know other kids, will see one tomorrow and help him with deer hunting and he and they don't have all the time in the world either. My bad for thinking your time was limited and you didn't have time or money to waste.

Last edited by nodog; 01-02-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

H&R Single Shot slug gun..check out their website
Old 01-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

This is my Remington 870 20 gauge.
Comes with a full rifle barrel and vented rib barrel.
Very confident out to 125 yards.
Dicks Sporting goods has this on sale all the time.
2 barrels and a scope, scope it comes with though needs replacing.
1st picture is how it comes when you buy it.
2nd picture is my set-up ( different stock, forend, and scope )

Last edited by 2robinhood; 01-02-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.