Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
consistently killing big bucks week 1 of bow season >

consistently killing big bucks week 1 of bow season

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

consistently killing big bucks week 1 of bow season

Old 12-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Spike

Default consistently killing big bucks week 1 of bow season

Iv been told by numerous people that if you can handle the heat (i live in ga.) the first week of bow season you have a very good shot on killing a good buck due to them being still on there summer feeding pattern. You have all summer to figure out there food source such as corn or soybeans. Then you put your camera up and you know what time those deer will be there every day then you sit and wait. Do you experienced bow hunters find this true for the first week of bow season?!?! all answers are welcome. I know it may vary from state to state but in GA bow season opens up sept 8th(give or take a week) and its super hot. Deer usually shed velvet end of august. thanks folks!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

I agree. many of the bigger bucks, (125 and up) I have killed, I killed the first few days of bow season. Although I do not use a camera-ever, I do a lot of non-invasive scouting and place stands back inside the woodline of a crop field. I try to get them as they travel to the food source before dark.

However, I much prefer a woodland/thicket setting for mornings and have had far more success then. The exceptions being in Canada when afternoons rule. My woodland setups are always near oaks that are dropping and I look for the trees in the thickest stuff.

One of my main tools is very soft, tine tickling or sparring. It can be deadly when the bucks are still in bachelor groups of the hunter can be patient and knows the bucks in a given area. I use a rattler bag exclusively. The largest buck is almost always the last buck to come to sparring and it requires a lot of patience and sitting motionless to wait one out.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot some of my biggest bucks opening week in Wisconsin, which falls in early September... I generally hunt closer to there bedding area though... But they do move a lot earlier than the rest of the season with exception to maybe the rut.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bukmastr
I have shot some of my biggest bucks opening week in Wisconsin, which falls in early September... I generally hunt closer to there bedding area though... But they do move a lot earlier than the rest of the season with exception to maybe the rut.
Judging from his avatar, I'm thinking Bukmastr knows whereof he speaks!
Here in the North, early archery is definitely the most successful for me. The lack of pressure/ element of surprise certainly helps; it seems they stay in their relaxed, "normal" routine for about the first full week or so here.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Opening day

October 1st.

September

Opening day.

September