Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting with dogs?

Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting with dogs?

Looking for a discussion on what you guys think about dog hunting. I am biased as my land is adjacent to dog hunters. Every morning as I get into the stand, I hear the dogs and often it ruins my hunt either from dogs running through my land or just the noise they make so close. I know they have the right to, but it sure seems inconsiderate to me. Those guys have killed 10 or more bucks in 2 months ranging from a 3pt to an 8pt. With 75% of them being 6pt or smaller. We haven't seen any deer. The buck I shot the other day was not here. I am sure not all dog hunters are like this, but these have made me think very little of dog hunters and their care of our precious resource. Whack 'em and stack 'em and bone collecting is all they seem to care about. I wish the state would outlaw it all together. What do you guys think?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm all for a fellow hunting as he wants, as long as it doesn't interfere with my hunt...
Old 12-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I'm all for a fellow hunting as he wants, as long as it doesn't interfere with my hunt...
Exactly! We have mentioned the problem to them, but they don't seem to care.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to be a very common issue with dog hunting.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Spike

it may not be true to every dog hunter. But seems like most of the dog hunters you run across have a who cares attitude. who cares if it messes up your hunting and who cares if the dogs are on your land! I know that warehouser around here has been talking about outlawing running dogs on their lease land! I think it's actually going to happen next year!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

I was raised running hounds and it is in my blood. In South Florida due to the loss of habitat and the concentrations of hunters there is no dog hunting at all.

I can see both sides of the fence. But after really thinking about it I feel that the landowner that pays for their land should be able to hunt without the fear of a pack of hounds chasing every deer off their property.

What I think needs to happen is that the hunting with hounds should me limited to parcels of over 2,000 acres and only on Saturdays and Sundays where Sunday hunting is allowed.

If they did this: the hunters using the hounds could catch their dogs before they cross a fence.

Anything less than 2000 acres is just too small to run hounds.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

mr. is your land posted? you might try posting against dog hunting. contact your local game commission officer and see if he can help with this problem.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
mr. is your land posted? you might try posting against dog hunting. contact your local game commission officer and see if he can help with this problem.
It is posted and like I said we have spoken to them to no avail. The problem is that is was outlawed in AL but a few guys in my home town that had some pull within the state legislature got their way and now you have to get an expensive permit. Long story short, they do what they want and I would be willing to bet money they have the game warden in their back pocket.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

I have dog hunted all my life and can see both sides and hunted both most people use dog to big and run the deer off but you use dogs the size of beagles the deer play with the dogs and can out run them and the deer stay closer to home more and on a slow day you get movement with dogs anyway i love to hunt and will do it with are without dogs good luck to all and a happy new year
Old 12-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I grew up dog hunting. It was exciting as all getout and dang sporting. I would love to go again.

However, dogs can't read and they can cross fences. Therefore, a posted sign does no good. I do know of one lease where the hunters catch the dogs, call the owners and charge them a $100 finder's fee. Apparently, it is legal. I do not know what effect it has had on the dog owners.

Now. Regarding the attitude of the dog hunter. I don't know that it is much different from any other hunter. Yes, it would be nice to limit dog hunting to operations of 20,000 acres or more. That would solve many problems. But I am much in favor of a hunter shooting whatever he wants so long as it is legal. As for the dogs disturbing my hunt, I have had it far more disturbed by fellow bowhunters than by dogs. After all, if a dog runs a deer by me, I can shoot it, too.

Having said all that. The time will soon come that all dog hunting for deer will be illegal. The shrinking habitat dictates it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.