Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Some one explain to me please

Old 08-19-2003, 03:33 PM

Default Some one explain to me please

I have a rattle bag, grunt and a estrus can. WHen should I use these? Opening day I shouldn' t use any of them right? The doe are not in heat so why would a buck be fighting another buck????. Estrus.....I don' t even know what that is but when should I use the can???
Old 08-19-2003, 04:53 PM

Default RE: Some one explain to me please

save the rattling for the pre-rut and the rut when bucks are fighting....Lots of people use a grunt call all season but the rut is a good time for that too. Estrus, when the does become receptive and ready to breed, save that can for the rut as well. So if you want to use something early use the grunt call especially if you just want to get a bucks attention or stop him from walking.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Some one explain to me please

Light sparring from a rattle bag can be very effective even on opening day. I successfully called in bucks with light sparring. You want to stay away from heavy fighting until later towards the rut, even then, for me light sparring is better.

Grunt calls can be effective all year round. It' s that simple but again, soft suttle calls can be more effective early on.

Estrous Can....not really. There is not a lot of proof behind the estrous part of the calling patterns of a whitetail doe. It is more of a social contact call and again, deer are social animals and the contact call that the can imitates will be effective early and late seasons.