Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.257 Roberts?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default .257 Roberts?

I was wondering if this is a good caliber for deer hunting? I am wondering because my Dad always talked about getting one but never did and he passed this October so I thought I would get one in his memory. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

I've owned and used a 257Robts for deer for 20+ years. Three years ago I re-chambered my favorite 257 to a 257Rbts Ackley Improved. It is by far the most accurate rifle I own. The gain in muzzle velocity is not a whole lot but the accuracy improved dramatically. With the 257Rbt A.I. you can shoot factory 257Rbt ammo or 257 Rbt A.I. ammo. I shoot 120gr Nosler Bullets and always kill any critter I shoot with it, The recoil is mild, the muzzle blast moderate and it is a pleasure to shoot. It is my go to rifle for U.P. Michigan whitetail, Wyoming antelope and Colorado mule deer, Arizona Coues deer and Oregon Blacktail deer.

IMO you can't hardly go wrong with a 257 Roberts!
Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's a great round just like my 25-06 Ruger. You can't beat either for any of those animals OneBear mentioned and my handloads even make it a little better than with factory loads. The .257 Roberts was the caliber Jack OConnors's wife, Eleanor, used to take almost all of her big game with.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-28-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Spike

I have a .257 Roberts in Ruger #1 and you couldn't even pry it from my cold dead hands. They are getting hard to find but well worth the effort to own one. You will not be dissapointed. Get yourself a "Bob" and you will think of your Dad everytime you go to the field with it.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys! I started my search today.