Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cow problems

Old 12-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Spike

Default Cow problems

Well hunting season has been open for nearly a month here in fl and im still having the problem since i first hung the feeder.

The first thing i did was run one strand of barbed wire and the cows went right through it without any problems. The next thing i did was run two strands of electric wire and the majority of the cows learned to stay away, but theres one brave cow who runs under it to get inside. After i realized that idea failed, i ran my two strands lower and ran criss crossing strands to make an x. I really thought that would work, but the cow busted through it and took down 3 sections of the fence.

I need something that can keep the cows out, without keeping out the deer or the hogs.

Anybody have any tips? I was thinking of putting 5-6 inch pvc in the ground and running electrified steel pipes across them instead of the t-posts and electric fence wire, because the pipes wouldnt flex and allow the cow to run under it like the wire does.

Not the best picture, but you can see what damage has been done.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

yer close...3 rows of barb wire...then tie a small piece from the top to the middle and then to the bottom, this will keep it from separating..we use 3 rows, it works fine, and the deer jump right in.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
yer close...3 rows of barb wire...then tie a small piece from the top to the middle and then to the bottom, this will keep it from separating..we use 3 rows, it works fine, and the deer jump right in.
Someone else on the property tried that and the cows would just push at it til its loose.

These cows werent a problem until the owner of them started bringing his family/friends and hand feeding them from the back of his truck. Now they follow you around anytime your walking and when you chase them off they just come back.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Spike

Default reply

That is a problem.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

shoot em and make burger.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

That fence has more holes than swiss cheese - lol

Looks like it needs to be re-done or your always going to have issues. Wire needs to be very tight - 3 strand minimum - 4 strand preferred.... Deer won't have a problem jumping it. If your concerned you can create a 'crossing point' for them between a couple of sections of fence by taking the 3rd and 4th row then tying them together with a small piece of fencing wire...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...hvnQqhRumNRNCw

Last edited by SouthDakotaHunter; 12-27-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

I suggest a good four or five row taut barbed wire fence with a single or double strand electric. Make sure all the barbed and electric fencing wires are taut, and the electric fence wire is not right next to a barbed wire. If you use a single strand electric with a four or five row barbed wire fence, try the single stand electric wire at about 40 inches off the ground.

First, how powerful of an electric fencer do you have? Second, make sure the electric fence is not shorted out someplace.

If you have a good electric fence charger, the cattle will not want anything to do with it.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/zareba-...harger-3604497
Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by trickworm863
Someone else on the property tried that and the cows would just push at it til its loose.

These cows werent a problem until the owner of them started bringing his family/friends and hand feeding them from the back of his truck. Now they follow you around anytime your walking and when you chase them off they just come back.
as mentioned...re-done..needs to be tight..make yer tee stakes are deep enough, they shouldnt pull out...you can use a long screw driver to tighten the barb wire up by making a loop and twisting it til its tight. we have 7 feeders done like this..and 500 head cant get in. the cows always follow the cars, they think salt er hay is gonna be thrown out. gl
Old 12-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
shoot em and make burger.
Please don't even suggest this to anyone. All it would do is to take one person to say they say it here and thought it was OK. Yes I know idiots but there are many out there.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Please don't even suggest this to anyone. All it would do is to take one person to say they say it here and thought it was OK. Yes I know idiots but there are many out there.
alot of people with cows dont want to lease out to hunters for this exact reason. sun comes up, some ding dong shoots a cow er a goat er even a horse, the farmers get po'ed and wont have anymore guys on their property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.