Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help me out with this

Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Spike

Default Help me out with this

On 12-20-11 I noticed buzzards in trees near my north fence line. Believing that something was dead (or near dead) in the area I started searching and found an 8 point white tail that appeared to have been dead from 1-3 days. The rack was perfectly symmetrical and the tines were quiet long. I had just checked a trail camera of mine within about 60 yards of the dead buck. When I viewed the SD card I found a picture of a big cat that appeared to be in a stalking mode. I think the date was 11-17-11. Several friends, the outdoor editor of our local newspaper and a game warden believe that the cat is a bobcat and all declare it to be the biggest bobcat that they have ever seen. While I too think it is a bobcat a few others think it might be a panther. It does have a short tail and some characteristics of a bobcat. The location is in Edgefield County, South Carolina. Please take a look and tell me what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Help me out with this-12-18-11-big-dog.jpg  
Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Spike

I have done a lot of bobcat hunting and that is no bobcat. Way to big and to long of a tail. I am not sure what kind of cat it is but I am sure it's not a bobcat.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say its not a bobcat either, that thing is big. Interesting.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Spike

Its not a cougar either it looks like, the ears are pointed. Cougar ears are round these look like triangles stuck in its head
Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

That is Not a Bobcat.
It doesn't look like one anyway.
More like a couger.

Attached Thumbnails Help me out with this-notsure-.jpg  
Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Wow. Interesting. The ears look like a bobcat, but I agree the tail is kinda long, and not to mention that thing LOOKS very large. Wish there was some sort of known dimensions so we could estimate size. I guess it could be a VERY LARGE Tom.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Spike

I know SC is out of their range, but what about a lynx?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

OMG it's a bobcat everyone. They are all over the place down here in SC. I hunt in Fairfield and Kershaw county not far from this county. My biggest cat I shot weighed 48 lbs. Thats a big cat.

yes the tail is kinda long but I'm 1000% sure it's a bobcat.

I've been stationed in Co and watched cougars and I'm 1000% sure it's not a cougar. If I was you I would try and get it. Thats a trophy bobcat. I just started to cats on my trail cameras too. Good Luck.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

To tell you what I think if you want to know. I think it is a Lynx. They are bigger than a bobcat and smaller than a cougar. I have only seen one and it is around here where I live. I hope this is helpfull.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:12 AM
Fork Horn

Do you have any pictures of deer in about the same spot the cat is ?
So we can do a size comparison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.