Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cold Temps and Bows

Old 12-21-2011, 05:48 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Default Cold Temps and Bows

How does your bow shoot when the temps get below freezing? In particular, how will it shoot when it is out in 20F or colder for 2+ hours and then, finally, that deer shows up? My PSE shoots very erratically, usually high. I don't even like to go out when it is cold for that reason. Are there bows that shoot better in cold temps?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Spike

^^ That's a good observation...have not experience any of that though...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:29 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Joot
^^ That's a good observation...have not experience any of that though...
You have not hunted in cold, or you have hunted in cold with no problems? If the latter is true, what kind of bow do you shoot?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

I had the same problem when I first started shooting the bow. I determined it was not the bow, but me that was causing the problem.

As the weather gets colder, your wearing more clothing, and probably changing your form when you draw the bow due to the cold temperatures. One thing you can do is to practice in the cold temperatures while wearing your hunting clothes, pay close attention to your form.

I noticed that I tend to drop my drawing arm elbow when it gets cold, causes the arrow to hit in a different spot than when I shoot during warm temperatures. I keep this in mind during the winter, be sure to remember to get that elbow up.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Spike

The only difference that I have seen that when you are sitting there for hours in 20 degree weather, your muscles become alot tighter than in the fall, also this temperature causes the limbs on the bow to become significantly more rigid. With both of these factors affecting, it is much harder for me to draw back my bow. But as stated above, the only thing affecting my accuracy is most likely the amount of clothing Im wearing which causes a lot more string slap for me if Im not careful. I read one of Jackie Bushman's books on hunting and he talked about a bow hunt early in his career in which it was very cold, maybe sub 20. He had a nice buck at 20 yards or so and when it came time, he said he could not physically draw his bow back because it was so cold. He said ever since then when he knows he is going to be hunting in extreme cold weather, he dials back his draw weight at least 5 pounds.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

I have hunted down to -13 on a couple occasions. Never had a problem. However, when hunting in bitter cold, I never take my bow inside. I always leave it in the truck or on the porch or somewhere the temperaturs stays constant. Never a problem.

had a tought. How do you know it is the bow and not the arrows? They may not be flexing the same at time of release.

(Just wanted to drive you crazy thinking about it.)

Old 12-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Spike

Hmm, I never thought about that. You could be on to something with that because the arrows would be more rigid in that cold weather, therefore less vibration.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rick C.
I had the same problem when I first started shooting the bow. I determined it was not the bow, but me that was causing the problem.

As the weather gets colder, your wearing more clothing, and probably changing your form when you draw the bow due to the cold temperatures. One thing you can do is to practice in the cold temperatures while wearing your hunting clothes, pay close attention to your form.

I noticed that I tend to drop my drawing arm elbow when it gets cold, causes the arrow to hit in a different spot than when I shoot during warm temperatures. I keep this in mind during the winter, be sure to remember to get that elbow up.
+1, Agree. It's not always the equipment. Very few of us practice in heavy clothes and gloves on a regular basis.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:39 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I wear pretty much the same clothes in very cold as in 40F - I have a huge coat that is not too hot when warmer but warm enough when colder. I will admit that sometimes I get a bit cold sitting there for too long and this could affect things. But I had one instance when all seemed fine (I was not cold) and I watched the arrow just "take off" high, very high. I have searched around and I have read where hunters say the bow shoots 5-10 lb heavier, which would give you a high shot. Also, the arrow is stiffer so that could affect things. What I might do is try out the bow right after I take it out, let it sit two full hours, and then try again.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

cold weather=more layers of clothes=less practice=more margin for error

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.