Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

One last Guide Trip

Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default One last Guide Trip

I retired from guiding in 2005. On January 15, I will again put on my guide hat for a special cause.

I got a phone call a while ago from the owner of White oak Plantation in AL. Once a monster, 21,000 acre hunting operation, White Oak closed most of its doors two years ago. It is no longer open to the public. But on January 15, some of the doors will be reopened.

A young man, I'll not name him here, has a severe form of cerebral palsy. His wish is to go hunting and he asked for me to be his guide. A stand large enough to accomodate his wheel chair and me has been built in a prime spot at White Oak and various companies have outfitted him with the latest clothing and equipment. I am honored to have been asked and happy to oblige.

I will get that young man a deer and tell him every story I know.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Typical Buck

Thats awsome dude. I hope he whacks out a monster. That would make a great memory for him forever. Your a good man to do this, but I'll bet nobody would turn him down. Good luck you 2 and go and make some memories and have a safe hunt.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

That is a great thing you are doing, wishing you and the hunter the very best in your hunt.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Spike

Scribe, I am glad that you are taking this young man out in the field. I know that you will teach him and show him the things he needs to know about hunting. I hope God blesses your trip, and I hope that young man bags a monster to make a memory for himself. And I am sure it will be a memory for you also!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

Scribe thank you and may God Bless you for what you are doing. Also please tell the folks at White Oak Plantaion a big thank you from all of us.

Is there a charity involved? Or anywhere we can send a check? I would like to help out. Cant send much but I want to help.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gator59
Scribe thank you and may God Bless you for what you are doing. Also please tell the folks at White Oak Plantaion a big thank you from all of us.

Is there a charity involved? Or anywhere we can send a check? I would like to help out. Cant send much but I want to help.
I'll see if I can get that information. I know there is a foundation taking care of all expenses but I do not know how they handle contributions. I know they are not like Make A Wish in that they do not solicit contributions. I also know none of the people involved are compensated in any way. I'll see if I can get an adress for you.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:02 AM
Spike

That's fantastic! It will be the trip of a lifetime for him, for sure. And it will probably be a very special guide trip for you also.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats to you and your friends for what your doing for this young man!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff scribe, I look forward to the story and pics!

I didn't know White Oak shut down...curious as to why? I know they were a big operation for sure...kinda a staple in the industry.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

I have done this on two other occasions and it has always meant more to me than to the person I was guiding.

I have been involved in the Arnold S. Leonard Cancer Foundation fund raising for some years. I was the originator of the Baldy Award. My head was the frist shaved and we raised some $4,000. Since then it has grown considerably. In 2012, I believe they are cutting the hair on some of the female luminaries of the sport.

I am a firm believer in giving back. My son has MD and he is only 35. You do what you can. I am just glad I am in a position to do a little from time to time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.