Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is the meat still good?

Old 12-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Spike

Default Is the meat still good?

i kiled a 7 point buck a couple days ago and it took about 1 and a half hour before i was able to go and actually get the deer, (it was about 55* outside) when i got to it, it didnt really smell but the body was still kind warm and it was slightly stiff but not yet bloated, i quickly rinsed the meat off with cold water and put it in the freezer, ive never let a deer sit for that long before field dressing it so i was wondering if the meat was still good, (it was a heart/lung shot)... i would rather not poison myself lol any advise?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

I'd imagine it would be fine. I would be a little more hesitant if it was gut shot.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I wouldn't worry about eating it. If it sat overnight in 55 degree weather without gutting it might be another story.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Spike

thanks! it felt kind of slimy so i was worried but its not discolored and it smells fine so im gonna go ahead and try it tonight!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

The only one I ever lost was one I shot through the guts with a bow and didn't find it dead until the next day and it was in the 60 degree range. It was bloated up and the guts were all loose. You could tell it had turned. I still butchered it and tried to eat it but finally had to toss it out. I could taste that smell.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It should be fine... I waited 3 hours to track one in warm weather because I thought my arrow was deflected. The deer was fine.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

The meat was fine in that short period of time, but you did one thing that is not kosher. After gutting and then butchering the deer, you really should have let the meat cool completely in a cooler with ice, in a frig., etc., BEFORE putting it in the freezer. Doing what you did will probably not cause illness, but you may get a taste that makes you think the meat is spoiled. This advice is from a retired State Inspector (me) of over 30 years.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The meat was fine in that short period of time, but you did one thing that is not kosher. After gutting and then butchering the deer, you really should have let the meat cool completely in a cooler with ice, in a frig., etc., BEFORE putting it in the freezer. Doing what you did will probably not cause illness, but you may get a taste that makes you think the meat is spoiled. This advice is from a retired State Inspector (me) of over 30 years.
This ^^^^^

The only bad tasting deer meat I've ever had was handled exactly that way. ALWAYS let them cool out, I usually keep mine on ice in a cooler for several days minimum.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like others have said ... its good to go.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

You'll be fine

2 years ago my partner got us a 4 point buck..liver shot..It took us 2 hours to get him out of the woods..We gutted him at the check station and then drove 2 more hours to get home.We split the deer up.It was tasty and I'm still alive .{ -:
This is FL..temps were in 60s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.