HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   A picture of my "trophy"...don't laugh :) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/355590-picture-my-trophy-dont-laugh.html)

prairienights 12-18-2011 07:26 PM

A picture of my "trophy"...don't laugh :)

2 Attachment(s)
Alright...you can giggle a little. This was my first year hunting, and I was so ridiculously proud of my doe fawn. She was absolutely a trophy to me. I know she's kind of ridiculous compared to some of the gorgeous bucks and even the big does you guys post pictures of. But I was proud :) I drug her, field dressed her, skinned her, processed and packaged her all by myself. Keep in mind that as of 6 months ago, I didn't even know what the difference between a bolt action and a lever action was. This whole thing has definitely been an amazing learning experience.

So here's my little fawn. She may be little, but like I said, I was proud, haha. And, I'm a 125lb girl who eats meat maybe once a week. The 31lbs of meat I got off her is plenty!!

1928you 12-18-2011 08:01 PM

Good job, does taste better anyways!

Sheridan 12-18-2011 08:07 PM

I like anyone who finishes what they start !!!

Now you are hooked; each year you have to take one better.

Congratulation young lady !

Cleburne 12-18-2011 08:59 PM

Congrats on your first harvest.

rbduck 12-18-2011 09:21 PM

Absolutely nothing wrong with that doe. All kills are a trophy. You are also doing what some hunters still do not know what to do with a deer once it is shot. Congrats on a fine deer.

Ron:D

nchawkeye 12-19-2011 01:47 AM

Some hunters forget that we hunt for food, not trophys...That's how it all started...

I've never been one that got excited about antlers, now backstraps on the grill wrapped in bacon do excite me... :)

Beautiful deer, beautiful lady, good combo...Congrats...

Funny to see an Auburn girl hunting in the snow though...

Champlain Islander 12-19-2011 03:02 AM

It will probably be the best eating deer you ever have. Congrats on the total job well done.

ModernPrimitive 12-19-2011 04:06 AM

If you hunt long enough & your experience mirrors mine what you'll find is that a doe hunt is quite challenging-especially the mature gals. I have only a handful over the years compared to several bucks.
I've taken some young specimens myself & can attest that they are tasty!
Good job!

Ghost of the hardwoods 12-19-2011 04:27 AM

Great job!!! I will bet that doe is going to taste great. Congrats on the trophy. There is nothing to be ashamed of about that deer.

prairienights 12-19-2011 04:52 AM

Thank you so much everyone :) And yes, she does indeed taste great! I've already had a slow cooked roast with apples for extra flavor and some grilled bacon wrapped backstraps (just like you said, nchawkeye!). I'm not much of a meat eater anyways, and I really dislike beef. But this meat is delicious.

I am definitely hooked, no question. I have always wanted to hunt and have always loved game meat, but nobody in my family hunts. And I was never taken seriously when I said I wanted to learn, hehe. I finally took matters into my own hands and enrolled in a hunter's safety course this summer. I learned as much as I could in a short time, went on a few hunting trips just to observe the more experienced hunters, and had a wonderful "guide" (my best friend's husband) to help me with everything. And I wanted to learn about the whole process. From sighting in a rifle to following game sign to gutting and skinning to processing. I'm a pretty good cook, so I gave him a few recipe pointers in return, haha.

And I am an Auburn gal (graduated last December; I majored in agriculture), but before anything, I'm a Wyoming girl. Born and raised in the Big Horn area of Northern Wyo. My husband is an Army officer and is currently deployed, so I'm hanging out at home for the year. The hubs and I bought some beautiful land in this area, and that's where I took my deer. Here's a photo of our plot :)