Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
A picture of my "trophy"...don't laugh :) >

A picture of my "trophy"...don't laugh :)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A picture of my "trophy"...don't laugh :)

Old 01-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats I am proud of you. A trophy is what you consider a trophy. No need to apologize. I wished my daughter liked hunting but it is not in her I guess.
Keep up the great progress and keep us posted.

Wyoming is a great State. Spent a week there with my Son hunting goats last fall and it was likely one of my best trips ever. The people were amazing and so was the hunting.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! My wife killed her first deer this year also. This was her third season, and first season to hunt with a gun. She got a little six pointer on the opener of muzzleloader season here in TN.

Also, congrats on the bowl win Saturday over Virginia. I am quite the Bama fan, but not a hater of other schools. Always proud of the SEC.

Keep at it...that is a fine trophy. Young does are the best eating there is out there!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

congratulations i have seen grown men with years of experience harvest smaller deer than that
Old 01-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Spike

Good job!!! Congrats!! And WAR EAGLE!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Spike

Congrats! Considering you're a SEC girl we need to get you an Arkansas Razorback hoodie! My niece is an Auburn grad, still can't get her to where the Razorback hoodie
Old 01-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Spike

Congrats! I'm in a similar situation. I didn't grow up hunting, none of my close family hunts. So, I'm starting the process of learning, so hopefully I can harvest my first deer next year. Id be proud to take that deer as my first.

In that vein, how did you learn to shoot well enough to be confident taking a shot on a deer? I shot.my Savage .308 for the first time yesterday, and probably only got 10 of 20 rounds on an 8x8 target from various distances. How did you learn to shoot steady and use a scope? I shoot handguns no problem, but a rifle was a different animal, even from a rest.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 23owner
Congrats! I'm in a similar situation. I didn't grow up hunting, none of my close family hunts. So, I'm starting the process of learning, so hopefully I can harvest my first deer next year. Id be proud to take that deer as my first.

In that vein, how did you learn to shoot well enough to be confident taking a shot on a deer? I shot.my Savage .308 for the first time yesterday, and probably only got 10 of 20 rounds on an 8x8 target from various distances. How did you learn to shoot steady and use a scope? I shoot handguns no problem, but a rifle was a different animal, even from a rest.
Start at 50 yards and make sure your gun is shooting where your scope is aiming and make adjustments accordingly. Keep moving out to longer distances. I have my 7mm mag zeroed at 200 yards and practice to 300.

Take a breath, exhale half, then take your shot.

Don't put too much finger on the trigger. Don't jerk it, just squeeze it off and let it almost surprise you.

Most of all, just practice. The more you do, the better you will become, and more comfortable you will be
Old 01-03-2012, 05:32 AM
Spike

Very nice!

And the deer is okay, too.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:46 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Congratulations! That deer will be very tasty. I've gotten three does myself, the third this year with my muzzleloader. We also found two nice bucks but they were too far away for me to take a shot with my bow.

My youngest will be a little older next year so we may get to hunt a little more.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Good first, I prefer the yearlings for taste. If I have a shot at either a 120lb doe or a 60 pounder I'll take the little one YUMMY KUDOS SP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.