Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats wrong with this deer?

Old 12-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Whats wrong with this deer?

I shot this buck today. Once i got it in the truck i noticed it was losing hair. I went back to the pictures i took in the field and didnt notice it, but there is a bare spot on his hind quarter. The hair in the area also pulls out very easily. I tried pulling on hair elsewhere and it would stay in tight. think its mange possibly?

I also thought it could possibly be from having drug him on that side getting him out of the timber?

Old 12-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

for some reason the pics arent working. heres the links.

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/...=deer20111.jpg

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/...t=hairloss.jpg

http://s1178.photobucket.com/albums/...=hairloss2.jpg
Old 12-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Spike

Woah, thats really odd. I read your other thread about having to wait to get that sucker. Kinda looks like a mite problem. I shot a doe a few years back that had a similar issue around her shoulder and neck. Check closely on the hair roots and see if you can see any small mites still crawling around. His actual skin doesn't look too irritated. Might be early mange. Did it pull out any more?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NebBuckHunter
I also thought it could possibly be from having drug him on that side getting him out of the timber?
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Where we hunt, you normally have to drag a deer out about 1/2 to 3/4 a mile on avg. Almost every deer we bring out has those spots on it. Dragging is hard on the hide.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, the skin didn't look irritated, and couldn't find any mites or anything. We had to drag him several hundred yards and it was pretty wooded so he was getting drug over downed branches and such. It was just odd that the hair that was still on him was so easy to pull out in the area. Must a have partially pulled out when dragging him.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

I have no idea what it could be.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

I'm about 99% sure its from dragging the deer. This year my cousin and I had to dragg a doe about 800 yards out of the woods and the hide looked almost exactly like the pick of your deer. By the way. Nice buck.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Spike

Skin it out and find out. See if there are any other injuries or infection on or in the body somewhere. Looks like you loosed hair during the drag.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree...from draggin...could be mange?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

He's skinned and butchered. Skin looked fine, nothing abnormal looking from the inside. I'm going with everingone else and thinking it's from dragging. Good to know if I ever decide to tan a hair on hide... Been thinking about tanning one of my deer one of these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.