Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Enough with the deer hunting shows. >

Enough with the deer hunting shows.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Enough with the deer hunting shows.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Of course it is everyone's choice to watch or not watch. I choose not to. That isn't the point. The point is, the entry level hunter, unless he has a mentor, may come into the sport thinking what he sees on TV is the way it is. he should pass up every buck he sees until a 150 comes along. He is unseccessfull for a year or two and gives up.

Guys like Stan Potts, Mark Kaiser and Winke and several others are actually tremendous hunters and they do not hunt behind small, high fences. I knew them long before they were on TV and hunted with them. I know what they can do. But when faced with the a short amount of time to kill big deer, they have to have help and they have to sell products. So they hunt the very best places at the verybest time. The end product is climb the tree, kill the deer, whisper like an idiot when that damn deer is laying there dead and then wait until tomorrow go find it. That gives them time to pose the deer exactly where they want it and clean up all the blood.

Did they actually hunt? Sure, and in many cases, they hung their own stands and did much of their own scouting. You just don't get to see that just as you don't see the bad shots very often. They have 3-5 days to get the show and get to the next state. They barely have time to get 26 products shown. The products pay the bill. They come first.

Some are worse than others. Some are absolutely horrible. Some should be banned. Anyone who constantly pumps his fist and bangs knuckles with the camerman and whispers "He's Down, He's down" 100 times, should just be gut shot. There are a couple from down South, almost neighbors of mine, who are almost totally impossible to understand. I live down here and I have no idea what they are saying. Those are some of the reasons why I don't watch them.

I have to go now. There is a doe just dying to get "smoked" and take a "dirt nap" or some such ridiculous crap.

Of course, that is just my opinion and in watching some of my old videos, I did a non-no one time. I was talking to the camerman in a normal voice while the deer was still flopping around. I wouldn't let them edit it out, either. I think I said, "He's not going anywhere, stay on him." I had broken both front shoulders and double lunged him and the arrow was still sticking out. I felt that was something that needed to be shown. It was/is a part of hunting.

Also just my opinion. Now where did I put my cough silencer and my pee tube?

Last edited by scribe; 12-20-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Spike

I see the point that you are getting at, but I guess my opinion is a tad skewed as I know absolutly no one that shows have caused them to give up hunting, but I guess I really don't even know anybody personally that has givin up hunting other than due to age or health
Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Spike

I liked to watch huntley ritter back when he had a show, Poor guy never could kill anything. Tred barta is not to bad to watch. I don't care for the rest of them but watch it for the enerteinment value.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is why you have a change the channel option on your remote.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Who has the time?

I couldn't tell you a single thing about a hunting show, don't watch them, never have. As a matter of fact the last hunting show I watched was American Sportsman back in the 60's with Curt Gowdy and Joe Foss. I can even tell you what the weather was like when I tuned in, raining, thats why I was in the house. There used to be a local show here in Michigan with Fred Trost, but that was more an info show concerning local conditions, activities, laws and such. Quit watching that too, when Fred passed.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

I watch these things and find myself screaming at the stupid hunters to "get that safety off you moron!!" and "Geez, are you going to look at the horns all day through the binoculars or shoot the damn thing?" I'd love to see a show where Jackie B., Larry W or one of those guys has to go totally on his own on public land with no guide. That would be hilarious and I surely would watch it!
Old 12-26-2011, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that all the shows are based around entertainment but I also agree that they lay a lot of inflated ideas about what a trophy is and to who. Right now I have two favorite ones out there that I think seem as realistic as can be: Deer and Deer Hunting and Midwest Whitetails. In fact I just watched an episode of D&DH and they talk specifically about what a "booner" is. They made several references to the "100 inch booner" which in my opinion gave the show some credit. They said that if you harvest a 100 inch, 2 year old buck off heavily pressured/hunted public land consider it a a trophy. They considered it one of the greatest challenges a hunter can be put up against because that deer is on full alert everyday and all day if it wants to survive. They talk a lot about food plots and running your own property but in my opinion they do a lot of educating and instructional shows. It is not one of those shows where you watch hunt after hunt. Just my opinion, but I think its a great show and I end up taking notes after every episode.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I gave up on hunting shows a while ago... I will admit - I used to watch a bunch of them over the years. But then one day (thank God for the modern DVR), I saw something and had to quickly hit the pause button or freeze button or whatever on the remote.

The show did a wide angle shot for a brief moment, and I paused it right there. The camera angle, scene, and focus of attention were directed this way, but yet over there (due to the wide angle), you saw something way in the back through the trees.

You guessed it... A #%*$&^ high fence...

I won't name names, but, I have met a few of the so called "TV stars" and/or Hunting Pros at some of those Outdoorsman Shows at the Expo or Civic Center in town. They are nice guys and all, but honest... I wasn't impressed. They are just regular guys out there trying to make a living. With some of those guys, if you put them out there on public land, out there amongst 9000 other hunters on a Saturday, they'd fall flat on their face! So, they have to hunt the expensive game ranches and high fences. They are basically just media whores who will do whatever it takes to sell a product so they don't lose their sponsorship.

Pffffffffffftttttttttt.....
Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

I get a kick out of watching the shows filmed out west, or in Africa. These are so different from what I experience here in central Missouri that I find them quite interesting. Elk hunts are cool, and watching guys stalk cape buffalo is pretty exhilarating.

The shows on the deer ranches and such don't interest me. As soon as some guy behind the shooter starts talking about passing this 150" buck because he knows a 180" will be along shortly I switch the channel. That's not hunting, it's shopping! Plus, watching an animal killed over bait isn't very impressive, c'mon, how is that fair chase?

I also like watching Jim Shockey's show, The Professionals. It's interesting to me to see what all he and his crew go through to get stuff on camera.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Spike

Too much advertisement...too much talking...youtube is my viewing choice....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.