Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Enough with the deer hunting shows. >

Enough with the deer hunting shows.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Enough with the deer hunting shows.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Enough with the deer hunting shows.

It's official hunting shows tell it like its not! Everything is orchestrated, deer enter stage left. All shots are good shots no matter what; we are not suppose to notice the change in lighting and that it took them all day and night to find the deer. Hot chick all made up and talking the entire time. If I saw a Mega buck coming in and my hunting partner starts talking he is coming out of that tree a lot faster then he went up, and he will have an arrow in his butt to boot! These shows have taken away the spirit of the deer hunt. Always the bigger better deer, never be satisfied with a smaller deer that puts meat on the table. Bone Collector oh deer god can they play up the dumb ass good ol boy southern accent any more. Now it's all about the bigger better deer, the newest product they are one big infomercial. How about learn your quarry, appreciate the experience with your friends or child and if killing the deer is a mark of success you are truly missing out.
Amen. Now I'll get off my soap box.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

I don't watch them, now turkey hunting shows thats a different story. Did like Primos shows but, that B Mobile has turned me against them. No matter where they go they have it with them.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Spike

"Things are not always as they seem" on some of those hunting shows/ videos. I used to watch a whole bunch of them when I was younger until I realized that I would never experience a day's worth of hunting like some of these fellows on the television.

That's not to say that I haven't learned anything interesting from watching though. I must say that picked up some pretty good pointers over the years of watching.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I rarely will watch one since I know many are taking place in canned hunting preserves. The power of the camera can cover up the obvious and I just can't get past it. Most of the scenarios on these shows aren't realistic to what the average hunter ever sees. Some fortunate people hunting in big deer states like Illinois can experience some of that in the rut but many people, myself included rarely get as much action as these TV guys. I know some like Stan Potts are really dedicated hunters and the films are just a culmination of their hunting lives but many today are just people with a video camera in a deer farm. I know in some of the areas like in Ohio where I have hunted, Buckmasters, Real Tree or some other large national hunting company buys up leases and drives the prices way up. I suppose it is just business for them and they recover the money spend promoting their products but it takes the average hunter out of the mix.

Bottom line is I just can't condone hunting behind a fence and fair chase should be the only thing associated with real hunting.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If people didn't want them they wouldn't be on. It's called capitalism. You give a product or service and the people either choose to use it or not.

I don't like them all but I enjoy the entertainment factor of some of these shows. I grew up when all you could watch was an occasional fishing show. Takes these shows for what they are....entertainment. Its when folks start measuring themselves against the TV hunters that problems start. Mostly envy and jealousy.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't believe there are many shows on TV that are canned hunts (small enclosures). However, there is no doubt that some are on high fence larger properties. The majority IMHO are like was stated earlier and those are larger private properties where few bucks are being shot and that allows them to grow to their potential. If most of the people hunting on TV shows hunted on public land like many of us have to do, including "give me a second Potts", whom I can't stand, they wouldn't be shooting anything to make a TV show because the animals they are shooting simply aren't there in the first place. I like the OYOA show Randy Newberg does on the Sportsman Channel because it is the real deal that most of us every day hunters have to deal with. You can kill some good animals with research and some luck, but not on a regular basis where there will be many shows on TV like he does. I hope his continues to get a good following allowing him to keep doing it because he's a great, down-to-earth guy.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-17-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Spike

Default Your Choice...I choose the deer hunting shows

I enjoy some of the deer hunting shows, but I will agree with you that it seams like Pursuit and Sportsman's Channel air a fair share of Bubba with a camera shows. Coming from a family owned video production business growing up, I enjoy Heartland Bowhunter due to their high quality production quality and videography. I also look for shows that will include the misses, tips and tactics, and family aspects of the show. I enjoy watching anything with Fred Eichler in it due to his enthusiams over the hunt (Easton Bowhunting, Muzzy Bad to the Bone, and a couple others).

Bring on more deer hunting shows..I'd rather watch a canned hunt way more than "Professional" wrestling, The "real" housewives of anywhere, or another rehashed CSI plot.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fred is definitely a hoot and has killed an awful lot of animals with his stick bows!
Old 12-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

I don't watch them but see them at Cabelas and parents house. They are as fake as anything could be. I saw once where a buck was walking in and as he shot the arrow the camera goes off and a new clip comes in with the deer just laying there. I think it was a mounted deer he shot. It just fell over when hit with an arrow and was stiff as a board when they walked up to it and touched it. They never hunt public land up nort. cause they would never get a whole movie.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

I agree, can't stand most of them. I do like In Pursuit and Midwest Whitetails. But BoilerDaddy you got it all wrong on the wrastling, that's the only true sport left. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.