HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Which Tree Stand Do You Prefer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/355368-tree-stand-do-you-prefer.html)

jrbsr 12-14-2011 08:35 AM

Which Tree Stand Do You Prefer?

Which tree stand do you use/like the best?

7.62NATO 12-14-2011 09:06 AM

I only have a climber. This is my first year using a tree stand, and I'd say I use it about 65% of the time. I like being up in a tree for several reasons, but climbers are a PITA on many levels. Since I only hunt public land, they are my only option if I want to get in the air.

I won’t vote since I have never used a lock on or ladder (what’s the big difference?), but I would vote for one or the other over a climber in a heartbeat if I had private land to hunt. I don’t care how good someone has become with a climber, there is no way you are going to be less intrusive with the noise you make or the time it takes you to get up into the tree and settled in, etc than you would be with a stand already in place. The only advantage of a climber is mobility….and possibly comfort with the lounge chairs some come with (like the Summit Viper). Fixed tree stands win in every other way.

salukipv1 12-14-2011 09:11 AM

Ladders all the way, I've sold all my climbers/lock ons, etc... and bought and continue to buy ladders.

I have 1 nice climber just in case, that sits int he garage or truck and never gets used.

as for mobility, 2 guys can move/set up a ladder in no time, and mount to almost any tree, vs. a climber must use a straight tree, it's hard enough finding a nice tree for a ladder let alone a perfect tree without branches for a climber... in the spot/near the spot you want to be.

magicman54494 12-14-2011 09:15 AM

Pretty much 100 % sling for me when I climb.

7.62NATO 12-14-2011 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 3889714)
Ladders all the way, I've sold all my climbers/lock ons, etc... and bought and continue to buy ladders.

I have 1 nice climber just in case, that sits int he garage or truck and never gets used.

as for mobility, 2 guys can move/set up a ladder in no time, and mount to almost any tree, vs. a climber must use a straight tree, it's hard enough finding a nice tree for a ladder let alone a perfect tree without branches for a climber... in the spot/near the spot you want to be.

That’s not the kind of mobility I’m talking about. Climber wins hands down in that dept.

marquismarc 12-14-2011 09:35 AM

I think each of them has their advantages and I utilize all 3 styles.

Champlain Islander 12-14-2011 11:07 AM

I like both climbers and lock-ons. I would rather be in a Summit Viper SS climber if I have to stay in all day. Way more comfortable over the long haul. The lock-ons and climbing sticks are good if you have the time and place to position a stand for a longer duration like all season. The summit climber is quiet and easy to carry with the back straps. Minimal noise getting it set up and before you know it you are up there. The limiting factor however is having a straight tree where you want it. When I can't have that I use a lock- on. Ladder stands are great if they are used as permanent stands. Take the fabric seat out at the end of the season and just leave it.

nchawkeye 12-14-2011 11:38 AM

I have 2-API climbers that are at least 10 years old...I've hunted from Loc-ons and ladders but never again, just can't get comfortable...Plus with a climber I'm hooked to the tree all the way up and all the way down...I feel it's safer, I know it's more comfortable for me...

VAhuntr 12-14-2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3889770)
I have 2-API climbers that are at least 10 years old...I've hunted from Loc-ons and ladders but never again, just can't get comfortable...Plus with a climber I'm hooked to the tree all the way up and all the way down...I feel it's safer, I know it's more comfortable for me...

+1

I voted "all the above" but feel the climber is the safest and by far the most comfortable for me. I still put up a couple ladder stands and lock on stands but they are put up for afternoon hunts of less than 3 hours, as thats about all I can stand in one.

BigDaddy12t 12-14-2011 04:20 PM

Only ladder stands for me.