Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Which Tree Stand Do You Prefer? >

Which Tree Stand Do You Prefer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Which do you use/prefer?
Climber
32.20%
Loc On
25.42%
Ladder
33.90%
All Above
8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Which Tree Stand Do You Prefer?

Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I understand that the Millenium is very comfortable.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ButchA
Thanks... Also, ladder stands won't go, "Sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippp" on the truck of a tree like a climber can.

I loved that Summit Viper X4 that I had. I could go anywhere with it, and even nod off to sleep in it. BUT... I had one incident with it, where, I was in a straight tree and everything was set. I didn't do anything (not that I remember) or do something stupid, but, the whole seat section of the Viper X4 slipped about 8" down the tree, causing my knees to hit the bar in front, and crunching me up into a ball. I never figured out why, what, or how, but the whole thing skidded down the tree on me.
I had that happen to my top section one time. However, I know what happened and it was entirely my fault. I had the seat section angled too high and when I sat back in the seat it slipped. It scared the crap out of me, so I understand how you feel.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I think they all have thier place, and I use all 3.
Last few years...I have not taken my climber very much. I have several hang on's set for the season, and several ladders as well. In addition, I bought a millenium so I set up multiple stand sites for that as well...I just go climb up, hang the stand and hunt.
Comfort wise, how do the Milenium stands compare to a good climber?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

I sat in a millenium for 6 hours this afternoon and was as comfortable as i have ever
been in any climber
Old 12-17-2011, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I might be getting old or it might be the number of kids I find myself taking hunting these days but I use ladderstands almost across the board these days.And more and more I find myself buying the double ladder stands.Theyre easy to get into, quiet when set up properly, comfortable, the double ones are pretty room if you want to bring someone along or just want to stretch out a little while your waiting.

I did buy one new hang on this year and I been using it where the trees are to small for a ladder or if I just want to hunt an area a couple times and move on.

The trees around here just arent good for climbers, we bought one quite awhile ago and used it one season and its collected dust since.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by petasux
I might be getting old or it might be the number of kids I find myself taking hunting these days but I use ladderstands almost across the board these days.And more and more I find myself buying the double ladder stands.Theyre easy to get into, quiet when set up properly, comfortable, the double ones are pretty room if you want to bring someone along or just want to stretch out a little while your waiting.

I did buy one new hang on this year and I been using it where the trees are to small for a ladder or if I just want to hunt an area a couple times and move on.

The trees around here just arent good for climbers, we bought one quite awhile ago and used it one season and its collected dust since.
Do you have a brand of ladder stand or seat type that you prefer? All the ones I have or have used are terribly uncomfortable to me.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Summit made a nice fold up climber for one year...when I realized that model was discontinued I bought 2..They are like the Viper but fold up to 4 inches..I love it..If I had my own land to hunt..I'd rather make a few permanent wooden stands..but in a WMA, the climber is the way to go..you don't want folks figuring out where you hunt..I hunt alone because deer hunting is very difficult in my neck of the woods.

I redo my own cables at 5.00 a set..The shrink tubing can be purchased on ebay and I had to buy some new nuts{2} for the braces..They were 20.00 } -: not good but necessary..I try to sit all day and they are very comfortable..