Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 White Corn...I' ve never seen anything go after something like this.... >

White Corn...I' ve never seen anything go after something like this....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

White Corn...I' ve never seen anything go after something like this....

Old 08-18-2003, 03:52 PM

Default White Corn...I' ve never seen anything go after something like this....

On my farm each year I usually plant lots of corn patches all around. It' s your ordinary yellow field corn. The deer, quail, and turkeys love it. This year, specifically for the turkeys, I planted a large patch of white corn, not to be confused with silver queen or sweet corn. The patch is about 3 acres. Well guys, at this point I have serious doubts if there will be ANY of that corn left in the field by fall. The deer have gone nuts over this stuff. And it' s not like they hit my regular field corn patches, which they are also enjoying, it' s even the way that the deer are eating it. With field corn, the deer frequently rip off an ear and eat every kernel while it' s on the ground. Sometimes you' ll see a deer walking along carrying it in his mouth like a kid eating a popsicle. But with this white corn, they never take the corn off the stalk--they peel it like a banana and eat every little kernel right on the spot. I' ve got this big corn patch with nothing but bare corn stalks sticking up in the air wondering what in the world stripped them naked!
Take a look at these pictures. The way these deer are hammering this stuff, next year I' m thinking about planting it everywhere!

Old 08-18-2003, 04:41 PM

Default RE: White Corn...I' ve never seen anything go after something like this....

i hate to bust your bubble that is a squirrel doing that .deer take down the stalks. i have seen squirrels peeel it back before like a banana.farmers tell me they see squirrels all the time in the corn. it is the little critters. deer will eat it the leaves of the corn to and the ears.

get up and hit the deer woods
Old 08-18-2003, 06:07 PM

Default RE: White Corn...I' ve never seen anything go after something like this....

I agree.
I don' t know what to look for but I knew someone would.
Raccoons,squirrels or deer,they all do different things to corn.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:10 PM

lets make sense out of this.squirrels are small they can climb up the corn and set their and take there litttle time eating away on the corn.deer have to bring it to the ground and eat it or they just pull or bite the ear off and eat the corn. make sense.the little squirrels love corn.they pill the shucks back and eat it.you will be surprised how much a group of litttle critters will eat.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:15 PM

Squirrels? No way! There aren' t enough squirrels in this part of Georgia to eat as much corn as has been devoured in this one field in just the past few weeks. The deer are heavily in this area, in fact, I have one of my deer cameras set up on the edge of this field taking pictures of the herd that is working this spot. Squirrels? I don' t think so!
Old 08-18-2003, 07:20 PM

i am telling the truth . youneed to setup and watch over the corn field you will seee a litttle critter come and eat your corn. deer no way setup next to the corn field and watch. if you can get a picher of the deer next to the corn eating i will kill my self. but it is the squrriels.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:25 PM

one squirriel one ear of corn a day a group of five work a row what are thinking man. i hate to sound like we are arguing but it is the truth and nothing but the truth. ask others like on the bowhunting forum and see what they say. tell them to look on the deer forum.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think deer would peel the corn either, im guessing some small varmint squirrel,coon,possum, or something is the culprit.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:08 PM

I am no expert corn guy. But It doesn' t look like deer to me either. Them wood rats don' t eat it all they fill up and stash it away, and do this over and over and over again all day.

I just can' t vision a deer eating the back side of the husk without ripping it down.

Or you have some well table mannered deer
Old 08-18-2003, 09:29 PM
nub

Got any deer tracks around the mystery munch site?

Quick Reply: White Corn...I' ve never seen anything go after something like this....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.