Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just About Done

Old 12-12-2011, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Just About Done

I believe I am just about done for the year. With eight in the freezer, my family and friends are well stocked and I am starting to get tired. I have been battling a serious illness for four years and my endurance is not what it once was. Last year, I hunted a total of 45-minutes. I did mange to kill a deer but required help just to get in the woods. This year I have logged a total of 30-hours in the stands and have had a great year.

I have one hunt left, a prime rut hunt in AL in January and that will do me. After years of spending 100-plus hunting days a year on the road, it is nice to say, "Ahh heck, I don't feel like going today." and not go. Fortunately, when it comes to deer or turkey, all I have to do is walk out the door.

Hope y'all had and are having a great season.

Last edited by scribe; 12-12-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Spike

30 hours in the stand and 8 deer down. That's pretty impressive!!!! I see that you say(in your other posts) you no longer shoot for the horns anymore and use the term "thinning" the herd loosely. You say that you can shoot 3 does in a day and can shoot 3 bucks in a day like it's a piece of cake. Do you live on a hunting preserve? It seems you must have an incredible abundance of deer in your back yard, if shooting deer comes that easy to you.

Jack O'Connor was a writer too as I can recall. And a whole bunch of people where under the impression that he was a GREAT hunter..... because of his wonderful accomplishment of obtaining the North American grand slam. What a lot of those people failed to realize was that all his hunts where payed for and a whole bunch were canned hunts. Jack O'Connor NEVER knew what hunting was. He never had to WORK for it....... yeah he sure did a bunch of shooting..... but never knew what hunting was. Jack never knew what it was like to actually hunt. And in my opinion.....either does a guy that spends only 30 hours in the woods and takes 8 deer. Then he goes on to tell of the 100's of days he used to spend on the road hunting each year.......Sounds like Jack O'Connor Jr. to me.

You are like the guys you see on the T.V shows hunting deer.( Behind fences, over feeders, controlled environments that allow deer to reach full maturity before they are harvested.......and the list goes on of the differences) In the wild....these things cannot be controlled. Most of the guys on this forum "experience" hunting in a whole different realm than you do. Most of these guys have only 1 or 2 spots to hunt and don't have the luxury of spending 100's of days going on hunting trips each year.........then coming on a forum and bragging about it.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Damn man chill out. He stated that he had serious illness. Whothe hell are you to
be so damn harsh. To each his own if its legal. Congats on a Great season scribe!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends where you hunt. I've gotten 3 8pt's and a 9pt, and 2 does. My buddy has shot 1 7pt, 3 8pt, 2 9pt, 1 10pt, 1 12pt, and 1 13pt this year. This is just a hunt club. They are a dime a dozen here in SC.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Geez you guys are lucky. We can only take two bucks per year in Nebraska. That means I have to choose which two seasons out of the three I hunt (bow, muzzleloader, rifle) that I want to shoot a buck in. How do you maintain trophy deer shooting so many 3 pointers?

Also, I agree dude. Chill the frick out. Who cares if he shot 8 deer in 30 hours. I could shoot 5 does per night if I wanted to as there is a herd that comes out like clock work each night where I sit. If we shoot one, they usually circle back in short time, and are back again the following night too. I once took my buddy out on a late season hunt because he hadn't got a deer yet and he didn't believe it was going to be that easy. Well, at 4:45 I say "well what do ya know, which one do you want?". As they walked in single file. He shot his. I waited for them to stop running, and shot mine. And in about 1.5 hours time, we had two deer down. (that's a way better average than 8 in 30 hours btw.). Why did I tell you this? I don't know? Because you shouldn't care either way what I do. To each their own.

Ps: it sounds like you're the type that also gets upset at their best friend for shooting a nice buck early on in the season, because he "didn't have to work at it". Instead of being glad he got the chance at such an animal.

You made need to take a look at yourself and figure out where all this hostility is coming from towards a complete stranger just "bragging" on an Internet message board....
Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 AM
Fork Horn

LOL I have been on two hunts where bait was used. One in Canada and one in Texas. In both cases, I did not enjoy myself and killed nothing worth talking about. I have been on one high-fence hunt. It was one of the most challenging hunts I have ever been on. I never saw a fence. On all three of those hunts, I was bow hunting.

I have worked hard to kill every animal I have on my walls. Most I killed with a bow, doing my own scouting and my own stand hanging. It is pretty obvious you are new to the hunting industry and know nothing about me or Mr. O'Connor.

It is true, much of what you see on television today is sickening. It is deplorable. However, in that mix are some real hunters. There are a few men and women who are among the best there is when it comes to scouting, stand placement and shooting. Unfortunately, you seldom get to see that side of them because today, it is all about the kill.

I live in the middle of a huge herd of deer and flocks of turkeys. They are all 100% free-ranging and baiting is illegal here. It is no great accomplsihment to kill a dozen deer in a year. All that is required is a knowledge of wildlife and how to scout and to place a stand, how to position a stand, weather effects on animal movement an ability to shoot, knowing when to shoot, knowing proper shot placement and how to blood trail. It only took me 57 years to learn all that.

There is really nothing to it. Just go hunt. In one of my elk hunting videos, I turned to the camerman and said, "Let's just go kill that bugling son-of-a-gun." Two days later, that is exactly what we did. Nothing to it.

So, my envious and badly misguided friend, let me just say this. "It sucks being me. Nahney, nahney boo, boo.

As you can see, Ghost, there was nothing to killing this Canadian buck with a bow. Heck I had an ATV to get him out. That made stalking close enough a slam dunk, just look at all the cover I had. And to tell the truth, I was wearing camo. I probably should have stayed in the ground blind and let him walk right up to me.

Last edited by scribe; 12-13-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Fork Horn

NE Hunter- I use to hunt quite a bit in NE. I hunted on the Republican River outside Arapaho and then a lot in Eastern NE around NE. City. had some great hunts and killed a couple fair deer in both places.

Took some work to get permission to hunt but ended up with a couple great farms in both places. After I got sick, I was unable to get back up there and probably never will again.

I also managed ot get permission to hunt one big farm just across the river in IA. I can't remember the year but I was lucky enough to kill a 130" inch buck in IA just after daylight and killed one in the upper 120's in NE just before noon.

When i was in college I hunted around Hershey on a friend's farm. We hunted deer in the afternoon and ducks on the Platte in the morning.

Lotta good memories of NE. I also won a bunch of money at rodeos all over the state. Where are you located?
Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Great picture scribe and congrats on that super buck. I think you will find 99% of the people around here will be good sportsmen and post accordingly.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Great picture scribe and congrats on that super buck. I think you will find 99% of the people around here will be good sportsmen and post accordingly.
I don't usually pay much attention. Anyone who knows me, knows I have probably spent more time scouting and studying wt. deer than most folks have been alive. When you are a guide and place over 100stands a year on land all over the place, you usually learn something. One place I guided on was 21,000 acres of swamp and agr. land. Took a while to just learn the property lines.

I have no idea where he got his informatio9n about Mr. O'Connor but he is equally missled in that case. How do you shoot a grand slam behind a fence?

Just a case of envy. Funny thing is, if all the people who have said, "Boy I wish I had your job.", had my job, most would quit. When you do something for a living, it becomes work.

Y'all have a great day. Time to take my good doggie out for a run.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 AM
Spike

Thumbs down

ghost, lighten up dude, it sounds like jealous anger to me !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.