Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
i need help selecting a new deer rifle for my little brother >

i need help selecting a new deer rifle for my little brother

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i need help selecting a new deer rifle for my little brother

Old 12-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

I have a Winchester 94AE in 357 magnum.
The first time I shot it, I though it would have a lot of recoil.
But Bang, and nothing, allmost like shooting a 22, just louder.
If you can find on, that would be good.
At 100 to 150 yards I can hit about anything, and the ammo is every where.
Hornady has the leverevolution 140 grain.

Attached Thumbnails i need help selecting a new deer rifle for my little brother-hornady-357-mag.jpg   i need help selecting a new deer rifle for my little brother-357-mag-lerevereluyion-fps.jpg  

Last edited by jrbsr; 12-11-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ghost of the hardwoods
Not that I never learned the basics of small game hunting, but I believe the original post asked suggestions about a first "deer" rifle for his little brother. That's why my answer was a 243.

And yes, I truly believe that a whole bunch can be learned from small game hunting too from very basic to advanced skills.

Sorry I wasn't clear...

At 7, he is too young to handle a proper deer rifle in my opinion...

By him a proper small game gun, teach him the basics with that and then get him a deer rifle in a few years...
Old 12-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Sorry I wasn't clear...

By him a proper small game gun, teach him the basics with that and then get him a deer rifle in a few years...
I would agree that at age 7 "most" kids aren't ready....especially if you plan to just put a rifle in his hand and put him out there. Alot of things to consider. First is the maturity of the kid at the younger ages....there are HUGE differences in maturity. Some kids 7-9 are like preschoolers still, some closer to teenagers. The other thing is they should go through a hunters safety course for sure, and be able to demonstrate that they can do what they learned.

I took my son out with me starting at age 4, and he began to shoot guns at age 6 (first a bb gun, then a .22). By age 8, I felt he was ready...and he had proven he could handle and shoot a gun safely and accurately so we stepped up to hunting with the .243. He did a super job all the way around.

My daughter is going through the process now. She's just not as ready as he was - as soon as he was. She just turned 11, I still didn't feel like I wanted to put the .243 in her hands yet. Maybe next year. Part if it is that she hasn't been as anxious as he was, so we've taken it a little slower.

Good luck and be safe.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Sorry I wasn't clear...

This is a good idea.
I got my oldest son a .22 Chimp Munk rifle, when he was 5 years old.
I put a SKS scope on it, looks like it was made for it.
A real squirrel getter.
I use .22 CCI CB's, and .22 shorts in it.
Go ahead and get him a rifle now before the price is a lot more years from now.
A .22 is a good starter rifle, it is quiet, and won't cause him to have a flinch.

Good Luck.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i put my 7 y/o daughter behind the 223, after she has shot a 22lr for 2 1/2 years. with ample time behind it. she shot the 223 with me in control last year to see how she handled the recoil. this year, when she turned 8, she put 24 shots in the kill zone of a paper target, earning her the right to have a chance at a deer. my intentions still are to let her have 1st chair, but i am in no hurry for her to pull the trigger....it will be optimal shooting conditions b4 she gets a green light this year. i really want her to get a few hours just looking through the scope at a live animal b4 she takes a shot...but dont tell her that.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 7 is too young in my opinion for deer hunting. Like already posted start him out with small game. That way he can learn hunters ethics, and gun safety with something small. But he's not my brother you know him best. I would say .243. Great all around rifle. I know grown men who still use it. It's easy to stay on target after the shot.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

a youth model .243 shooting 90gr i would say. thats what i shot until i was 16 or 17