HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Buck wounded, resuming track in the morning (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/355076-buck-wounded-resuming-track-morning.html)

kansasdeerhunter 12-09-2011 04:40 PM

Buck wounded, resuming track in the morning

Ok here it goes...long story:

So I shot a nice 8-10 pointer this afternoon. We were both in waste high grass and I bumped him from his bed. He ran away from me about 40 yards then stopped and turned broadside to me just past the top of a ridge (I could only see his head and back due to the grass & ridge). I had to take the shot standing, at about 75 yards. I heard the bullet impact his body (never had that happen before, definite clap/thud) and he dropped where he stood. The way he went down I figured he was done immediately. So after 5-10 minutes of chatting with my brother on the phone I see movement in the grass about 75 yards from where I dropped him. Its a buck and he looks real similar to the one I just shot, but as I observed him he didn't act wounded, he was just slowly walking like a normal deer. Well I watched him do a big loop and go into the trees in the property corner. As he entered the trees I noticed him stumble forward like he was going down but kept going and lost him in the trees. So I decided to try to find the exact spot where I first shot him and hope he's laying there and that was a different deer. No such luck, found lots of bright red blood where I knocked him down but that was definitely him walking around. So I waited an hour and headed for the corner trees where I last saw him. When I got in the trees he spooked up ran over the property fence and I watched him disappear in the trees on property we don't have access too.

Well I had a friendly chat with the owner and he has been gracious enough to give me permission to persue it. But I decided to wait till the morning. I don't know much about the lay of his land and I didn't want to keep bumping this buck. So my father and I will head back out in the morning about 10:00 and hope we can find him. I know the exact spot where I last saw him so hopefully we can find a blood trail. Coyotes all over out there so hopefully they don't find him first.

I've never had a deer drop like that and get back up and walk off. Any tracking recommendations? I'm usually pretty good at spotting the tiniest specks of blood, but anything that might help would be greatly appreciated

kswild 12-09-2011 05:55 PM

Good luck tomorrow! You'll find him. I've had that happen twice this season with the outcome being less than desirable.
Live it up! Deerwoods Doug

Sfury 12-09-2011 05:57 PM

Why wait until 10? You might as well get an earlier start.

kswild 12-09-2011 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sfury (Post 3887536)
Why wait until 10? You might as well get an earlier start.

Might not want to disturb the yotes while they're eating! lol:poke:

Topgun 3006 12-09-2011 06:31 PM

If he was bleeding decent and you can take up the track and he's dead I would bet the coyotes will have already been on him. If there are many in an area I've seen pictures where they've been on a dead deer within an hour or two. I would start at daylight if you can get out there that early and good luck. Let us know the outcome.

kswild 12-09-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 3887551)
If he was bleeding decent and you can take up the track and he's dead I would bet the coyotes will have already been on him. If there are many in an area I've seen pictures where they've been on a dead deer within an hour or two. I would start at daylight if you can get out there that early and good luck. Let us know the outcome.

Some places here in Kansas say they have a coyote problem. Around here where I live the coyotes have a Doug problem!:biggrin:

kansasdeerhunter 12-09-2011 06:53 PM

I'm waiting till around 9 or 10 as a courtesy. The land he ran onto is leased and there could be hunters there tomorrow. I have permission to persue him from the landowner but don't want to screw up anyone's morning hunt

Jeff Ovington 12-10-2011 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by kansasdeerhunter (Post 3887562)
I'm waiting till around 9 or 10 as a courtesy. The land he ran onto is leased and there could be hunters there tomorrow. I have permission to persue him from the landowner but don't want to screw up anyone's morning hunt

You have an animal to find.. I'd be going first thing..
Find it before someone else does..

Buckyou 12-10-2011 05:13 AM

call a tracking dog in. your local DEC(like we have in NY) or whatever should be able to refer you to a tracking service. dogs find deer.

anyway if no dogs, do you have google map access ? print out a map of the piece of property(couple copies for others to have) and section it of in areas. these new maps are incredible.

last, if there is any sign mark it. then continue downhill, or towards water, streams,ponds etc.

hot lead means just that and they seek water.

stabnslab_WI 12-10-2011 07:41 AM

First mistake was you were on your phone. 2nd mistake was you were on your phone, 3rd mistake was you had phone service. I was always taught to "know" your target and whats beyond. Obviously u had no clue what u were shooting at but it was a buck otherwise Im guessing you would have tried to put another round into it when it was looking at you.