Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Buck wounded, resuming track in the morning >

Buck wounded, resuming track in the morning

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck wounded, resuming track in the morning

Old 12-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you find him?
Old 12-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Spike

wheres the pics?
Old 12-11-2011, 03:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Two mistakes here, first shooting when you can't see your target...If his lungs were hidden behind brush or weeds you don't have a shot...

Second mistake, always approach game ready for a quick second shot...Leave the high fives and phone calls until after you have recovered the game...
Old 12-11-2011, 04:42 AM
Typical Buck

nchawkeye speaks the truth. The real lesson here is to make certain the buck is down before making a call.

I did not make the call to my Father this year until after I knew my bucks were down.

Granted, I would have made a call if I had to start tracking the second buck I shot. I hit him hard in a snow storm, and if I was going to be tracking I had to move fast. I still had to verify the success of my shot first. So I went to where I had shot the buck, and saw what was to be seen. For me, that was dead buck this time.

I have wounded, and lost, only two deer in my years of hunting. It's something I always think about as I'm taking a shot. It's two too many lost deer. When I miss these days, I get upset with myself. I take pride in my ability to put the lead where it needs to be, and hate to fail at my job.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:40 AM
Spike

Did you recover him yet? Any follow up news?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kansasdeerhunter

(I could only see his head and back due to the grass & ridge). I had to take the shot standing, at about 75 yards.

Prob not... Story sounded bad fron jump street!!!