Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Marlin 1894 or Ruger 77/44

Old 12-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

I'd go with the Ruger 77/44 myself. I prefer bolt action over lever action rifles.

Not because either rifle is inherently better than the other.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

For those posts questioning why Indiana has those requirements the answer is pretty simple---population centers scattered throughout the small state. Southern Michigan where I live has similar type requirements during deer season that are goofy in that shotguns and muzzleloaders are the main two guns allowed during the gun season. You can also use certain centerfire calibers very similar to what has been stated in this thread like Indiana allows. The goofy thing though is that I can't shoot my centerfire rifles during deer season, but can take them out the rest of the year to shoot fox, coyotes, woodchucks, etc. anywhere in the southern lower part of the state just like I can at my place up in northern Michigan year around.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

The reason Indiana limited the use of cf guns was purely political. There were essentially zero deer in the state until the 60's, and when the herd became huntable, the DNR had to "apologize" as the regs were developed. So they developed the notion that deer hunting in Indiana should be a "medium range" proposition, and allowed shotguns and MLs. Of course, these same guns are now no longer medium range guns. Guys can shoot over 200 yards with either. So now they allow various rifle cartidges, and the wildcat rounds based on WSSM cases are true high-powered guns. In the next few years I'm guessing that most if not all cf cartridges will be allowed.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

X2 on using a good Shotgun with a rifled barrel. Today's sabot slugs in a rifled barrel - 12 or 20ga will out perform any handgun round and with a scope they're good out to 200 yards.

I've hunted with .44mag and not once did it leave a blood trail.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Well, in the years I hunted with my Father's .44 rifle all the deer I shot bled. The one thing the rifle did not do was drop the deer on the spot without it being a neck or head shot.

I'm guessing the problem you encountered was more due to poor shot placement than anything else. Hitting the deer in certain areas just means less blood is lost.