HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   New to this... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/355010-new.html)

cabuckner13 12-08-2011 10:08 AM

New to this...

Not sure where to post this (admin move me if needed). Im 26 and live in Arkansas. I love to backpack/hike, but I have never truly been hunting. I have been out in the woods and shot squirrels, but no hunting. I started a new job and have more free time now. I also work with nothing but hunters. Being the new guy, dont feel comfortable asking for hunting advice from them nor asking to tag along with them. This is the first place I could think to go for advice, tips, etc...

Thanks!

jdweim 12-08-2011 10:20 AM

Do you have a location to hunt, or location in mind? Do you have the equipment required to hunt? and the right equipment for the game you are after? Do you know all what game you are going after, I am assuming whitetail deer since you posted in the whitetail deer hunting section.
Things to start with:
Proper clothing for weather and to be legal
Proper weapon for the animal
Do some research on the animal you plan to hunt
This website is a great source for the things above and any other questions you may have
Also learn the local laws on hunting

These are just very basic things to start with, this sport can be simple or as complicated and time dedicated as you want it to be.

Ghost of the hardwoods 12-08-2011 10:21 AM

First off, ( if you have not already ) get yourself into a hunter education/ safety course for your state. Second, keep coming to this site and looking at old post and some of the replies. You might be surprised. I bet a lot of the old posts will answer the majority of questions you already have. Try to get 1 or two hunting magazines and read articles on the game you are interested in pursuing. After you get familiar with the terminology and lingo's to hunting talk, you will be able to have conversations with the hunters that you work with. You will hear stories and learn things from the hunters you work with, the hunters on this forum, and things you read in the magazines. Most hunters are willing to tell their stories of their success and shortcomings so other hunters can learn. After a certain amount of time, you might build a good relation with one or more of the guys you work with and they will ask you if you have your license. They might even ask if YOU want to go hunting with them sometime. It's not a guarantee, but sometime this happens with guys that become good friends and have very strong interests in hunting.

DeppedyDogg 12-08-2011 07:55 PM

Ditto Ghost....

Originally Posted by Ghost of the hardwoods (Post 3886914)
First off, ( if you have not already ) get yourself into a hunter education/ safety course for your state. Second, keep coming to this site..........you might build a good relation with one or more of the guys you work with and they will ask you if you have your license. They might even ask if YOU want to go hunting with them sometime. It's not a guarantee, but sometime this happens with guys that become good friends and have very strong interests in hunting.

These are all resources. Hunters, the most successful of hunters know their resources and use them.

Cultivate friendships and take a long-term approach to relationships. Better to go slow and long than to push into associations hard. Long term relationships will yield rewarding friends in many ways. Especially connected people who hunt.

My $.02

triglet 12-08-2011 09:01 PM

All good points so far. Once you get to know your coworkers better then by all means ask for some guidance or to tag along! You can pick up some great knowledge from people who have been at it for a long time. Alot of things you may not be able to learn from here...