Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Using metal light poles to construct an elevated box stand? >

Using metal light poles to construct an elevated box stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Using metal light poles to construct an elevated box stand?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Spike

Default Using metal light poles to construct an elevated box stand?

I would like to use four 33' 11 guage metal light poles to elevate a roughly 8x8 wooden box stand. I figure that roughly 6' of the poles needs to be set in a concrete base (any advice?). This would mean that the base of the box would be bolted at 18'. I would like to build the wooden box on the ground then use a Telehandler w/ forks (big loader with 44' boom) to place & bolt the box to the poles. Does anyone have any experience or guidance in using metal light poles for this sort of application. Thank you in advance for your reply
Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

11GA is 1/8" thick. Doesn't seem thick enough for me.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

need more info here.....I assume these poles are round tapered steel? what is the bottom diameter? are there base plates welded to the pole shafts? I am an engineer for a company that manufactures light poles and we have had people buy scrap poles from us to install blinds on in the past, so you are not the only one to try this. let me know what you have before I can make any suggestions.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

Most light poles don't bear a significant load. Are they aluminum or steel? I'd be hesitant to use them unless the metal was at least 1/2 inch thick. 8'x8' seems very large and heavy to be supported by light poles.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Build a solid wood base. Use cable to stiffen the whole thing up.

And you don't need to go 6' deep into concrete!!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the poles will be sufficient for support. They don' need to have a thick wall thickness, they gain their strength from the diameter. That being said, it is important to keep them nice and round - dent free. That is where the strength would become compromised.

I suggest 55 gallon steel drums for the leg bases. Set the poles about 2/3 - 3/4 the deep. A 55 gallon drum of concrete would weigh 450 and I would set them in the ground, not on the ground. I would shoot for a footprint of 10' X 10'.

It is very important that you use a solid frame up top where you want your box. Something that ties all the legs together squarely and that will lock the square by getting an "X" in the frame. I wouldn't rely on anything even remotely flimsy or anything that could change dimension. IMO bolting to the poles could only be done right using blocks that are flat on one side to mate with your frame material and rounded to the pole on the other side - same with washers.

I personally would also do a couple girdles on the pole frame. You can use them as good anchor points for the ladder/stairs and they will add to the rigidity and strength of the tower.

If you have access to the Telehandler you ought to be able to build it laying down and then raise it up and set it in the holes.

You get that thing up I hope you'll put up some pics.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Spike

Default Update...

Ok im getting the light poles in the morning & i will update the exact specs of the poles w/ pics soon. I think i will be getting more than i need to do 2 stands so i guess using 5 or 6 poles per stand will be an option. Thanks for your help everybody! this will be a process so stay with me..
Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

you'll be ok as long as the pipe is runnin up the walls to hold up the roof. i like the 55 gallon drum idea buried in the ground. i would worry about sway, as light poles are designed to do so. 11g is a lil thin..depending on diameter.you need to fill them with cement or even sand. something to make em more rigid, and more than likely remove sway. remember to make the water fall off a non shooting side. gl
Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Spike

Default Pole pictures & dimensions

Here are the poles...

11 guage

They're approximately 8 3/4" at the base & they taper up to roughly 4"

Four 33' poles
Four 27' poles
Attached Thumbnails Using metal light poles to construct an elevated box stand?-pole-pic-2.jpg   Using metal light poles to construct an elevated box stand?-pole-pic-3.jpg   Using metal light poles to construct an elevated box stand?-pole-pic-4.jpg   Using metal light poles to construct an elevated box stand?-pole-pic-5.jpg   Using metal light poles to construct an elevated box stand?-pole-pic.jpg  

Old 12-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

1 thing no one has considered....what about Lightening,are You making one large Lightening Rod? Yikes!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.