HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How do you handle coyotes while deer hunting. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/354779-how-do-you-handle-coyotes-while-deer-hunting.html)

flyinlowe 12-03-2011 07:03 PM

How do you handle coyotes while deer hunting.

Do you guys always shoot a coyote no matter what? Or does it depend on how the deer hunting is going? I was out today for our opening day of muzzle loader season. I had been seeing deer all morning. I also saw four coyotes. I know there were at least two as I saw them running together the last time. Not sure if exactly how many but I saw two separate coyotes early and then two running together later on. Two of them walked under my stand and I wanted to shoot them but I had already seen 3 bucks following a doe across the field in my direction. About 5 minutes after the coyotes went by I saw two of the bucks in a thicket about 20 yards from my stand. I didn't get a shot but at the time I was glad I didn't shoot the coyotes.
So what do you all do when you see a coyote while deer hunting?

warbirdlover 12-03-2011 08:49 PM

If we have the chance we shoot 'em

Deepsouthdeerjunky 12-03-2011 09:43 PM

thats a good question... it rele does depend on the time and what the deer are doing... im not gunna shoot one at daylight or after ive seen three bucks chasing a doe... but if it gets later on in the morning or earlier in the afternoon and i get a chance u best believe that dogs dieing.

EFH 12-04-2011 05:36 AM

I agree, depends on how my hunts going. I like to shoot em, but if Ive been seeing deer I won't mess my hunt up! I've let them walk when set up on turkeys too, but if it's slow I'm tryin to dust em!!

Whitetailaddict13 12-04-2011 07:23 AM

shoot em all.

nchawkeye 12-04-2011 07:36 AM

Shoot them when I see them groundhogs as well...

I hunt mainly our family farms, have since the 60s, so I feel obligated
to control varmints on our properties...

I have also killed deer many times after shooting a coyote or a groundhog...Especially
with a muzzleloader, the noise doesn't really bother them...

We also sometimes check the zero on our rifles before hunting that evening, doesn't
bother the deer...

Try this, have a buddy shoot his gun a couple of times while you are 200 yards away, it's not as loud as most will think...

If deer hunkered down and stopped moving every time they heard a gun shot we'd never kill them...

GTOHunter 12-04-2011 07:40 AM

On opening morning of Deer Season I try not to shoot any Coyotes...if I put a nice Deer down or if the Coyotes disrupt the pattern of Deer or I see them chasing and following any Deer then its time to take them out.After the 2 days of Opening Rifle Deer season all Coyotes have targets on them,they shot 2 Coyotes on our Hunting land the first 3 days of Deer season and the Hunters still ended up shooting a nice Buck later on.

After Deer Season You need to do some calling and shoot a few of those Coyotes,some times a Deer will smell the trail of a Coyote and take off in another direction,that when it can disrupt their daily routine of travel and ruin an other wise great day of Hunting...too many Coyotes can thin out a Deer Herd and they will kill Fawns in the early months when they are born.

kansasdeerhunter 12-04-2011 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this (hopefully the attachment worked). Damn things are everywhere this year. Been hunting the same property for 8 years now, last year was the first year I saw/shot one. This year I've seen 10 and shot 4. Got the 2 in the pic over the previous night's deer gut pile. As long as there aren't deer in site I'll shoot every coyote I see. Pheasant, quail, and turkey population are all way down on this property this year. The weather & coyotes have definitely taken a toll. My brother actually watched 4 coyotes working 2 roosters from his stand this year. Fortunately they both were able to fly away but it was a close escape!

whitetail94 12-04-2011 10:12 AM

if i see a yote when im hunting..regardless of how my hunt is going im shooting him!!

Master Chief 12-04-2011 11:14 AM

I shot one this morning. I had seen 3 deer before he came through chasing two yearlings. I only shot because the second yearling seemed to be struggling to keep going. I figured he'd probably be that coyotes lunch if I didn't. After I put the last shot in him a doe ran out.This was early around 7 this morning. I probably would have seen more deer if I let it go but you never know. I probably shouldve stayed in but after five shots I thought Id let it cool down a bit.