Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How do you handle coyotes while deer hunting. >

How do you handle coyotes while deer hunting.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you handle coyotes while deer hunting.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

I don't see any coyotes where I hunt. Plenty of sign, but no sight of them in the day.

Plenty of wolf sign too.

I'm in the wolf zone of the state so I can't shoot a coyote legally if I see one in the gun deer season.

If I happen on a coyote any other time I'd take the shot. I'm considering getting a rabbit call and doing some coyote hunting next year. Their numbers seem to be way up this year where I hunt. Way more yipping at night, and a lot more sign than I've ever seen in the past. Time to thin them down.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Make 'em leak until they stop moving.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot them. Or at least shoot at them. I shot one with my .30-06 while deer hunting about 10 years ago. Just this evening I missed one with the blackpowder gun while deer hunting (see my post in the blackpowder forum). If I was on a big buck I would pass them up, but since I am more of a meat hunter I don't mind taking shots at coyotes when they show up.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

If the rancher found out that I DIDN'T shoot a coyote that I had a chance at, I probably would lose my welcome. We're instructed to take every 'yote & hog that comes our way. It's the only reason the rancher has us hunting his property to begin with. The deer & turkeys we take sure don't threaten his cattle. I hate to waste anything, but coyotes are taking over & I'll take every one I see with no regrets.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

shoot the yotes if given a chance. I've shot deer and had other deer walk by as i was field dressing them. yotes will clear out when you shoot a gun.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Spike

Shoot them ALL the shot really dosnt do much damage on the deer hunt and its one less fawn eater out there come spring!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If hunters don't shoot deer . . .

in the woods, who will reduce the coyote population. The government !!!!! Hunters and non-hunters would have to pay more in new taxes, than hunters, alone, spend hunting.

Recently a public park was closed for a time in Atlanta, Georgia. Hunting is banned in that city, and trappers were given the task. The trappers do it for a living; not out of the goodness of their heart. Hunters don't have large hunting tracts in the big cities.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Choot em flyin, Choot em!
Live it up! Deerwoods Doug
Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot them. Deer by me don't seem to mind shooting. I've had deer walk out after a shot many times. There's a lot of rec shooting by my hunt club. Shoot em or there will be 4-5 more next year.