Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How do you handle coyotes while deer hunting. >

How do you handle coyotes while deer hunting.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you handle coyotes while deer hunting.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Spike

Iny state we are not allowed to shoot them during rifle season because the DNR doesn't want the hunters to mistakenly shoot wolves. It really sucks because I could always shoot a few during firearm season.
A few years ago my hunting partner shot a coyote; he was in a very close quarters swamp and using a can call, all of a sudden there is a coyote quartering at him that darts off, then another one, then one behind him. He finally got.freaked out enough that he got out of there. On his way out his sixth sense tingled, he turned around and there is a coyote running down the trail at him, he yelled, "HEY!". The dog kept coming and he dusted it.
He was pretty freaked out.
Another hunting buddy was gutting out a deer that he had taken in the last legal moments of shooting time during archery season and a pack of coyotes kinda circled him and basically forced him to leave his deer. The next day we went out during the day and it was basically just bones.
To compound my fun in the woods we have a large cougar that has been caught on trail cameras right where I hunt.
fun
Old 12-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

They get shot. Unless I know I have a nice buck right on top of me, they yotes get it.
-Jake
Old 12-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

i will shoot the coyote 100 percent of the time, no matter what. Coyotes take about one third of the new fawns in this part of OK.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

I am 100% shoot the coyote. If the opportunity arises the dog is going to die. We have way to many coyotes around here so we shoot them every chance we get.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot em every time.

I guess if I had a monster buck I was trying to get on and one came by, I'd shoot the buck. But since that has never happened...the yote is going down.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:46 PM
Spike

I shoot everyone I see. If I know it is going to be a full moon I will bring my coyote call and try to call some in after shooting light for deer.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

shoot to kill.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
went to ky a couple years ago deer hunting, place was crawling with coyotes, showed a guy 2 fifty pound dogs and asked how many he had killed since he's hunted there most of his life, he said none, he wouldn't shoot them because he didn't wanna ruin his deer hunting. I asked him how much venison those 2 ate in a year, he had no idea. I told him every coyote he let walk affected his deer hunting in the future

don't cut them much slack during bear season either

RR
very nice. my biggest yote wass 43 pounds. two years ago, opening morning of muzzleloader, came right down a heavily used runway, nose right to the ground. .50 cal sabot from the ol smoke stick puts an aweful hole in one
Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Spike

Whenever i see a coyote i try to get a shot on one, i accually killed my first coyote last saturday (last day of rifle season) and a 4 point buck (that i also shot) walked out about 15 minutes after i shot the coyote from the same direction.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by whitetail94
if i see a yote when im hunting..regardless of how my hunt is going im shooting him!!
Pretty much sums up my feelings. And seriously how often do you get a chance to shoot coyotes? I hear them often but never really see them for a shot. If you are seeing them all the time, I have to believe you have a SERIOUS coyote problem and you better shoot them all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.