HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Any college students have success this year? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/354762-any-college-students-have-success-year.html)

MIZ_hunter7 12-03-2011 01:52 PM

Any college students have success this year?

I'm a college student who doesn't have the opportunity to hunt like I really want too (every damn day), due to my internship. Last night at a party I met a guy who goes to school here too, he showed pics of a monster buck. It scored in the 170's. He had also gotten some other bucks (illegally might I add, that part pissed me off) that were just trophy deer all around. But it got me wondering if any other college students had any kind of success (legally I hope). If so I'd love to see some pics or stories. Just interested, miss being out in the woods.

eldergage 12-03-2011 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i am currently attending southern illinois university and hunt the shawnee national forest while at school but i went home to moultrie county(central il) for shotgun season and tagged this 9 pointer opening morning.

cowboycrittergitter 12-03-2011 02:46 PM

I have shot one doe this year with my bow. I can't afford to buy an out of state license and don't have the time or money to drive back to Kansas to hunt. I have class all week and clinical hours and training on weekends. I miss it though. In highschool we hunted everyday of the week. Now that im in college im lucky to get out five times a year.

MIZ_hunter7 12-03-2011 03:00 PM

Nice 9 pt. I'm jealous of you for that. Cowboy, I hear you on that. High school was every evening after school hunting. Now I've got 3 days over Thanksgiving break. It's rough but part of the sacrifice we gotta make to get an education. My dad tells me all the time, I'll get plenty of time when I get out.

Deepsouthdeerjunky 12-03-2011 09:40 PM

Ive had a pretty good yr here in mississippi... started out slow due to fall baseball practices but picked up the last month or so. I found a small track of public land for bowhunting only this yr and have gotten to hunt it a few times. Ive taken two nice does and have let 4 or 5 young bucks walk. I got lucky on the out of state license. Im from alabama, but since im a college student in the miss. i get "citizenship".
Rede to head back home for christmas break and hunt some.
Great 9 point man.. love to see one of those down here

iayotehunter 12-04-2011 07:58 AM

I'm a senior in high school and haven't been able to hunt as much as I'd like because of sports. I've seen plenty of deer just none of the shooters have came in bow range. I killed a doe early on in the year though. Now it's gun season so hopefully something shows

rangerboy 12-04-2011 08:10 AM

I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin and have had an awesome fall. Opening night of bow season I hit a 12 point with split brows but unfortunately we did not find him. In October I shot my first mule deer, a 5x4 and antelope. And finally during our 9 day gun season, I shot a decent 8 point on opening morning in far Northern Wisconsin. The best part is I got to share all of the hunts with my dad, it does not get any better!

MIZ_hunter7 12-04-2011 08:14 AM

Yeah but your senior year is a different story. Those are times your never gonna get back, you gotta enjoy it. I had trouble my senior year getting out in the woods, I lucked out on opening day of rifle season and tagged a 150 class 8 pointer. But as for bow season, football conflicted and track ruined my turkey season. But I don't regret it. You can always hunt the rest of your life, but playing sports is a different story.

MIZ_hunter7 12-04-2011 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by rangerboy (Post 3885078)
I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin and have had an awesome fall. Opening night of bow season I hit a 12 point with split brows but unfortunately we did not find him. In October I shot my first mule deer, a 5x4 and antelope. And finally during our 9 day gun season, I shot a decent 8 point on opening morning in far Northern Wisconsin. The best part is I got to share all of the hunts with my dad, it does not get any better!

Hey man congrats on all those and getting to share the moments with your dad. But if you ever need a new hunting buddy hit me up! haha thanks for sharing.

Bocajnala 12-04-2011 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a lot of time this year but I got a 7 point in Ohio during archery. Skipped two days of classes to get into the woods. I'm still hoping for a couple late season deer, finals are over this week.