Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

End to a legend

Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Spike

Default End to a legend

Two years ago I had to take a double take when checking cameras. This mammoth buck was caught at one of the food plots. I have spent the last couple of years tryng to find this trophy. Well, last Tuesday I left the stand and decided to do some scouting. I was walking by a small grove of cedar trees when I noticed what appeared to be antlers. Once I got close, I realized this was the monster I had been looking for. In one sense I was was sad, but in another I was glad I found the remains to know he no longer existed. I know he's no Cabella's buck, but it is the largest rack I have ever encountered. He had been there about a year, best I could tell. Animals had chewed on a lot on the antlers. A few points were missing. 21" width with 18 scorable points. It was missing the G2, G3, and the lengthy drop tine. Luckily we have detailed pics on the camera and my buddy is a master in restoring antlers. This will definately be a wall hanger.

Attached Thumbnails End to a legend-bigbuckcam.jpg   End to a legend-bigbuck2.jpg   End to a legend-bigbuck1.jpg  

Last edited by jrbsr; 12-03-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't understand restoring antlers? Makes no sense to me at all.

Looks like he was on his way downhill maybe... very nice none the less, but I know I'd mounted the way I took him, otherwise why not just shoot a spike and make giant fake antlers on them? what's the difference?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Restore and mount a FIND? No thanks. Best I would do is clean him up and display as is. Nice buck, big one for sure...too bad you didn't get a chance at him.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the find!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Spike

The king is dead......Long live the king...
Congrats. on a great find.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man what a stud!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I don't understand restoring antlers? Makes no sense to me at all.

Looks like he was on his way downhill maybe... very nice none the less, but I know I'd mounted the way I took him, otherwise why not just shoot a spike and make giant fake antlers on them? what's the difference?
Originally Posted by WV Hunter
Restore and mount a FIND? No thanks. Best I would do is clean him up and display as is. Nice buck, big one for sure...too bad you didn't get a chance at him.
First congratulations, Great find. but I have to agree, right now you have a genuine great deer, a nice piece of nature. I think it would be dishonor to fake him up. I would mount it as is, it would make a great tribute to a great animal. Doc
Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

To each his own, but I would just go with a European mount. From the pic you posted it looks like the rack had minimal damage. I for sure wouldn't go sticking points on the deer that weren't there before his death. Either way, he's a fabulous animal and it's great that you got to recover the kings crown. I would be excited to know that he has planted alot of seeds on my property.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

I say. do what makes you happy. I see your point, I am not sure how deep I would get into restoring it but he will look great on the wall. congrats on the find.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Well, with any luck, he's been busy with the does in the area for the past few seasons and his offspring will keep you plenty busy for the foreseeable futire.

Awesome find, though. I scour the brush looking for sheds in the off season and I seem to find not much more than some rat chewed left overs. We found a skull a few months ago from a doe but nothing like that. I know you can't eat em but its still pretty dang cool. The buck who was to wily to be taken succumb to old age.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.