Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
To grunt or not to grunt...that is the ? >

To grunt or not to grunt...that is the ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To grunt or not to grunt...that is the ?

Old 12-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Older bucks will not always defend against younger healthier bucks. Be careful here, older bucks will service every female they can but sometimes when challenged by a snappy healthy racked youngster, that older fella will just find another doe to service.

Seen it happen.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

I tried the bleat can, and I saw a buck run the other way.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by the blur
I tried the bleat can, and I saw a buck run the other way.
I've used the can also.... never tried it when I had one in site. I usually call blind(very infrequently) when I am using any type of call. But in my hunting location the deer are usually in range(or close) by the time I am able see them. Alot of the times they sneak right in due to the heavy cover. I constantly have to be watching 360 so one can't get underneath my stand. (this happened during early archery & I couldn't get a good shot) The times I had success with calling blind, I've had previously unseen or heard bucks come right to me. Other times I heard a grunt either before or after I called. I guess that just goes to say how each situation can be drastically different. I know guys who are very successful and knowledgeable deer hunters that never use any type of calls or scents. I've had what I would consider fairly good luck calling. And that may well be what it is: LUCK

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 12-04-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

I have grunted several bucks in over the years. This year i had a six point starting to cross a small feeder creek, grunted and he stopped to look around, started to cross again grunted again and here he comes , killed him at 10 yards.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

I live in the Central VA area, and have used the grunt, the bleat can as well as rattles. I believe it has to do with the doe to buck ratio in the area you hunt. I have had bucks come into blind rattling and also the can. The grunt tube I think works best when the buck is visible and getting ready to leave. Don't be afraid to use any of the tools but just don't over use it.