Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Game Wardens above the law?

Old 11-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

All the same, this guy is still dumb for not wearing orange. I work in the woods, and I'm not required to wear orange either, but it's very smart to do so. That guy is an idiot if he's lurking around in the woods in semi-camo clothes during gun season, especially on private land where you're not expecting any trespassers. If he doesn't learn, he'll be a statistic some day.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone.....Game Warden or not walking around the woods during hunting season without blaze orange on is a FOOL .....
Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Spike

I will admit he should have had some orange on but let me ask you this, is a LOE allowed to speed when responding to a call. Can he speed to catch up with someone who just blew by him doing 90 miles an hour? Why is a LEO allowed to pull his firearm and point it at you if he is unsure of your intentions but if I do it is assault? I new york you cant use a cell phone while driving but cops can.

I have no problem with LEOs breaking the law to do their job. In most cases you could say it is necessary that they do it. They have special training that most do not have.

If he was hunting and not wearing orange that is a different story. If you are not on the job and break the law because you are a LEO thats not acceptable.

I give game wardens all the respect in the world. They go out in the middle of noware and look for people that are armed to make sure they are doing everything right. Even SWAT works in teams.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by brewman555
Anyone.....Game Warden or not walking around the woods during hunting season without blaze orange on is a FOOL .....
Its not a law in California, and you won't ever see me out there in blaze orange. Blaze orange is a HUGE target, especially to the drug growing mexicans in our woods.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

I was approached by a CO a couple of years ago, he also had no orange clothing.
And of all the things he approached me about, faded orange hat..lol.

There was also a local CO sneaking in on Charlestown State park land that was off limits to hunting.
A friend of mine reported him not knowing he was a CO, the CO actually had a gate key to the off limits area.
Supposedly he lost his rights to get drawn for hunts at the park and received an official reprimand.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Yes a LEO is allowed to speed responding to a call but is a LEO allowed to speed to get home for the night, or to take his kid to the basketball game? **** no he is not. I have followed several cops who were speeding like a mother just to get home. And I have I have seen more than a few cops pull somebody over just to see who was driving the car and for no other reason. If they ever pull me over without cause their butts will be in trouble with their superiors. They can not pull a person over without probable cause and just to look in the window to see who the driver is, is not probable cause. And yes it does happen. My dad followed the local sheriff in our town going 85 the entire way one time. He went straight to the gym and dropped his kid off and my dad waved as he drove by him. He knew he was caught. Needless to say that bugger leaves us alone now.
And personally our local LEO is a pain but at the same time he is doing his job. What ticks me off is he comes out and checks us while night rabbit hunting. We were legal and he asks us to give him a courtesy call for next time. So we give a courtesy call three times in a row, and three times in a row he comes out and checks on us anyways. Every ******* time we were legal he was just being a pain in the butt. So needless to say he no longer receives a call when we go out. To **** with it, we try to let him know so he doesn't have to be up at 3:00 am but he comes out anyways so we make him earn his money now. Also he likes to play ninja cop and run around with his nightvision equipment and follows us around just to see if he can catch us doing something illegal when he has no premise to suspect us of anything illegal. And we are always courteous and polite. Well off my soapbox.

Last edited by JW; 12-01-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: language - skirting the filter
Old 12-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

While I don't want to let my paranoia show, for the most part I assume that for anyone w/ a badge & a gun the answer to your query is yes.
Like everyone else I have numerous personal anecdotes to illustrate my opinion. Suffice it to say I assume this to be the case and comport myself accordingly.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by westtexducks
Yes a LEO is allowed to speed responding to a call but is a LEO allowed to speed to get home for the night, or to take his kid to the basketball game? **** no he is not. I have followed several cops who were speeding like a mother just to get home. And I have I have seen more than a few cops pull somebody over just to see who was driving the car and for no other reason. If they ever pull me over without cause their butts will be in trouble with their superiors. They can not pull a person over without probable cause and just to look in the window to see who the driver is, is not probable cause. And yes it does happen. My dad followed the local sheriff in our town going 85 the entire way one time. He went straight to the gym and dropped his kid off and my dad waved as he drove by him. He knew he was caught. Needless to say that bugger leaves us alone now.
And personally our local LEO is a pain but at the same time he is doing his job. What ticks me off is he comes out and checks us while night rabbit hunting. We were legal and he asks us to give him a courtesy call for next time. So we give a courtesy call three times in a row, and three times in a row he comes out and checks on us anyways. Every ******* time we were legal he was just being a pain in the butt. So needless to say he no longer receives a call when we go out. To **** with it, we try to let him know so he doesn't have to be up at 3:00 am but he comes out anyways so we make him earn his money now. Also he likes to play ninja cop and run around with his nightvision equipment and follows us around just to see if he can catch us doing something illegal when he has no premise to suspect us of anything illegal. And we are always courteous and polite. Well off my soapbox.
"your vehicle resembles that of one im looking for. but since i have you here, license and registration?"....reason enough, ive had it happen to me. there is always, always a reason to get pulled over...
Old 12-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'll comment. If he's not required to then he's not. It's just makes sense to wear it for one's safety. As to LEO doing what they want. Sounds to me like we're grouping all the LEO in one bucket here and basically calling them trash. I believe it's fair to say the phrase one apple spoils the bunch fits here. Remember these are the men and woman (majority of them) who swore to keep the peace and follow and enforce the very laws we do. There the ones who might take a bullet walking in the front door at a domestic abuse call, or have a revolver pointed in his or her face at a traffic stop at 12 am on a back road. And for what nothing they make crap for wages. They do it bacause they want to.

Yes, there are some bad apples but most put their lives on the line for us.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

was he hunting or was he doing his job? if he wasn't hunting should he still need to be wearing orange?
RR

I was once told by an Illinois CO, very sternly and very very rudely, that "during during firearm season you absolutly should be wearing blaze orange in the woods even if you aren't hunting, matter of fact you have no business out there if your not hunting". On a side note, I beleive the law also says that no one can interfere with your hunt, shouldn't that include CO's? I mean if they want to check you out they can do it when you come out can't they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.