Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Purposefully hunting fawns?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by prairienights
I think 28lbs of venison is just right.

Sounds about right... You will find if you love the taste of venison how fast you will go through that 28 lbs... :-)
Old 11-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

My first deer taken was a nubbin fawn. That about killed me. While it tasted great, I did kill the legal buck I could have shot down the road. He weighed 77 lbs field dressed. I will say that it was the easiest drag I've ever had.

I have never taken a fawn again. It's not something I will do.

I don't judge other hunters for doing what they want. We each need to hunt to fill the needs we have.

Some things to think about, but in Wisconsin fawns can easily get up to 90 lbs throughout most of the state. An average size adult doe weighs in around 110-120 lbs. I've even seen a couple of monster does that weighed in just over 150 lbs field dressed. My father took one of them the year before I started hunting. What a sight to behold.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:43 AM
Spike

[QUOTE=Sfury;3882626]My first deer taken was a nubbin fawn. That about killed me. While it tasted great, I did kill the legal buck I could have shot down the road. He weighed 77 lbs field dressed. I will say that it was the easiest drag I've ever had.

I have never taken a fawn again. It's not something I will do.

I don't judge other hunters for doing what they want. We each need to hunt to fill the needs we have.

Some things to think about, but in Wisconsin fawns can easily get up to 90 lbs throughout most of the state. An average size adult doe weighs in around 110-120 lbs. I've even seen a couple of monster does that weighed in just over 150 lbs field dressed. My father took one of them the year before I started hunting. What a sight to behold.[/QUOTE

You got it right brother......The mature doe isn't that much more meat.....and you are saving that 50-50 fawn from growing to maturity.