Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How would you hunt this?

Old 11-27-2011, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How would you hunt this?

Let me start by giving a little history. I was hunting an area and got a glimpse of a really nice buck about 100 yards away....then he disappeared into a pine thicket. The time was around 1 pm on November 17th. I was in the stand as a heavy storm front was moving out and the rut was in. There was a lot of deer movement that day and I wound up shooting a decent buck right before sunset.

I hunted the same spot yesterday and did not have any luck. I decided to walk out to where I saw the buck moving through to see what it looked like. I left a spare blaze orange vest at the tree to use for reference. To my surprise I found two large, fresh scrapes, several rubs and just a lot of deer sign in general.

Here is my problem though. I'm off this week but do have to drop my son off at school. That will put me in the woods about 1.5 hours after sunrise. I think the best of the rut is now over. Should I just go in and stay all day and see what happens?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would if you have the time. You won't kill him from your office!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Absolutely stay the rest of the day.

And remember if the peak of your rut was say Nov 5th? Your yearling does will come into heat for the most part 28 days later. They are usually a cycle behind the mature does.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gator59
Absolutely stay the rest of the day.

And remember if the peak of your rut was say Nov 5th? Your yearling does will come into heat for the most part 28 days later. They are usually a cycle behind the mature does.

I saw the most action between the 14th and 19th of November.