HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Loud groan after shot.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/354212-loud-groan-after-shot.html)

125py 11-23-2011 05:47 PM

Loud groan after shot....

I shot a buck with my muzzleloader from about 50 yards. The deer was quarting to me and when I hit him he made a loud groan the whole time he was running (well for at least 75 yards). We found some blood and after 100yards or so the blood got down to just a drop here and there. Any guesses where I hit him (Guts or neck would be my guess) Anyone else have a deer make this noise after the shot and where did you hit them? Thanks!

gator59 11-23-2011 08:29 PM

Dont know about the groan. But what bullet were you using?

halfbakedi420 11-23-2011 08:37 PM

lol well if he is groaning, i'd say ya missed the lung. if someone shot you, you would groan too...lol i actually know of a guys cousin that wont hunt no more cause a deer groaned at him...head down hill towards the water, let him sit over night. usually the most direct and wide open route is the way they go.
where was the poa, or poi if ya saw it?

Deepsouthdeerjunky 11-23-2011 08:51 PM

I did shoot a doe two yrs ago two years ago that made a loud "moan" after i shot her. She dropped right where she stood when i shot her and made it as she was layin there right befor she expired. My little brother had one do it to him this year too... he did make a neck shot on it... there may be some correlation because the deer that did it to me was shot a lil high at the shoulder... most neck shots dont run off though when they are shot with a bullet.

125py 11-24-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by gator59 (Post 3880592)
Dont know about the groan. But what bullet were you using?

295grain hollow point powerbelt

125py 11-24-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420 (Post 3880594)
lol well if he is groaning, i'd say ya missed the lung. if someone shot you, you would groan too...lol i actually know of a guys cousin that wont hunt no more cause a deer groaned at him...head down hill towards the water, let him sit over night. usually the most direct and wide open route is the way they go.
where was the poa, or poi if ya saw it?

What is poa it poi? No lung is obvious

SJAdventures 11-24-2011 07:53 AM

The only one I have ever heard do that had been shot through both flanks by another hunter

cal516 11-25-2011 05:17 AM

Had that happen this morning. Had a deer quartering away looking back at me. I shot and saw it run then heard a groan. Gave it an hour and found it. It hadn't expired so I backed out.

gator59 11-25-2011 06:43 AM

"295grain hollow point powerbelt"

not that the bullet would stop the groan. But do yourself a favor and quit using PowerBelts. In my experience 90% of the time they will not pass through. So the lack of blood is an issue. Sure there is blood at the point of impact but a blood trail is just not there.

Many will disagree with me. But trust me I have been at this long enough and have had to trail many deer with my dogs and for the most part PowerBelts are the main culprit. Not only powerbelts all ballistic tip bullets.

slowr1der 11-25-2011 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by gator59 (Post 3881100)
"295grain hollow point powerbelt"

not that the bullet would stop the groan. But do yourself a favor and quit using PowerBelts. In my experience 90% of the time they will not pass through. So the lack of blood is an issue. Sure there is blood at the point of impact but a blood trail is just not there.

Many will disagree with me. But trust me I have been at this long enough and have had to trail many deer with my dogs and for the most part PowerBelts are the main culprit. Not only powerbelts all ballistic tip bullets.

I don't agree with the part of all ballistic tip bullets being bad. However, I do agree with the part about the PB's being horrible and not leaving a good blood trail. I used them in a 295 grain hollow point for a few years and finally switched last year to Deep Curls. The difference is amazing. I will never go back to Powerbelts. Most of my friends that have used them also realized they suck and have switched. I only know 2 guys who haven't switched, and they have problems with losing deer after deer as there is hardly ever a blood trail.