Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shot a buck the other daynot sure how I feel about it. >

Shot a buck the other daynot sure how I feel about it.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot a buck the other daynot sure how I feel about it.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot a buck the other daynot sure how I feel about it.

Ok Ill tryn to make this short. I get to my public land spot well before light on opening day. Another guy musta come in behind me without me noticing ,say about 100yds up hill from my position, about 7am to my surprise I heard his rifle crack, then again a few seconds later.I looked behind me and saw a decent buck stumbling, but running pretty fast downhill about 40yds to my left. I wasnt sure if he was hit or just stumbbling on the rocks. He was headed for the a steeeeep draw, and I wasnt sure if I should do the guy a favor and drop him before he made it any farther down. Before I could decide he hung a right and ran straight for me! He cleared a deadfall only a few yards from where I was sitting, and I dropped him at 10feet! I dont even remember looking through my scope, all I know is 1 more second he would have literally ran over me. The guy came down a few minutes later. He said his 1st shot hit a branch but he thought his 2nd was settled pretty good on the deers right shoulder. He was shooing a 30.06 but we couldnt find even a small hole anywhere near where he said he aimed, all we could see was the hole in his chest from where I hit him head on, and what I thought was the exit since there was a ton of bloody back splatter right where he laid. He was nice and said it was clearly mine and went on his way,but I felt bad. I dont want to take another guys buck, but I didnt know what else to do so agree and shook his hand. Well after the guy left, and I finished dressing it out. I did notice a small hole in the deer back right above the spine which seemed odd since at the angle he was at, it shouldve come right out. Then I was really shocked to find a pretty good blood trail up the hill from where it came as I dragged it out. when I got home I started skinning it out and found a huge hole in the deers back and even 2 vertibre taken out, then I found my 7mm bullet loged under the skin right next to the exit hole, which i guess would explain the back splatter? I figure he shot high from about 30 yds uphill from the deer, his shot hit the right side of the spine and deflected down the inner left side of the ribs, Im guessing this wouldve been fatal but the deer would surly went a good ways into some rough terrian maybe never found. My 7mm08 destroyed the right shoulder blade and blew the heart to mush. I still feel kinda bad that I took another hunters fatally hit deer, but I really didnt have a choice to shoot, and I didnt even know he was even hit till the guy left. As I drove away I saw where he parked I was tempted to leave him a note saying he could have it but by that time I had tagged it and spent 2 hours dragging this thing 1/4 mile uphill so I kept driving LOL.For all I know he coulda killed another buck that day. Still feel kinda bad though. Thoughts?

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 11-22-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Spike

Sounds like you guys settled it peacefully, both agreed on something and went on with it. where I hunt i could only imagine the mess that would come out of a situation like that im sure the game warden would have got called to settle it.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's rightfully your buck, and I think you did things properly considering the situation. No pics?
Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Duck7604
Sounds like you guys settled it peacefully, both agreed on something and went on with it. where I hunt i could only imagine the mess that would come out of a situation like that im sure the game warden would have got called to settle it.
x2 i don't think were i hunt it could have went so peacefully.

but you definitely did the right thing, you both agreed on it. don't feel bad and congrats on the buck
Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by early in
It's rightfully your buck, and I think you did things properly considering the situation. No pics?
Thanks, yeah its cool to meet up with decent folks in the woods.

Shot a buck the other daynot sure how I feel about it.-001.jpg
Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

Don't feel bad. The situation was resolved without any hard feelings, and no physical violence.

All good things. Take what you got, and go with it. You did nothing wrong.

It's nice to hear about other hunters being respectful.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its your buck..That's all there is to it.. You don't need to feel the least bit sorry.. If the tables were turned he would have done the exact same thing.. I would have done the exact same thing..
My Regs state it who kills it is the one who tags it..
Not the one who draws first blood..When you shoot you shoot to kill..
I did that to my sister.. She shot a buck down below me, I heard the shot, she was with my Dad, so I meandered down the mountain toward them thinking I could intercept animals walking up..After 5-6 minutes I saw a big 4x4 rack in front of me just standing staring at me just under 100yrds from me.. so I shot him.My Dad than radioed me to see if I got one, I said yep, he then mentioned my sister wounded a monster but it ran down..She had help so I just tended to gutted when I sensed maybe this was the buck..I left what I was doing and followed it's tracks, sure enough I found blood.. Radioed my Dad and told them I'm pretty sure I killed Kates Buck..
They followed the blood trail from their end and met my deer..
Well as it turned out I shot the one she wounded.. It went down and
circled back up. It was to be her first deer, I still bug her about it..
Old 11-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

I can tell by your story that you are a good person and would never take another mans deer.

To me that says it all. It's your deer.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Thanks, yeah its cool to meet up with decent folks in the woods.

Attachment 19795
Nice rifle, and nice deer. Is that a Rem700 topped with a leupold? Thats my exact same setup, except mine is .30-06.

I wouldn't feel bad about the deer. The guy couldn't find his own bullet hole, its his fault. Plus you made a fatal shot on a running deer. Every deer I've hit with my .30-06 hit the ground like they were run over by a truck.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you and the other hunter handled yourselves like grown men. I would not feel bad at all. Congrats on the buck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.