Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone fall out of a tree stand? >

Anyone fall out of a tree stand?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone fall out of a tree stand?

Old 08-17-2003, 06:40 AM

Default Anyone fall out of a tree stand?

RMOA-Television is putting together a segment for tree stand safety, and would like to hear your storys about your accident and what happened. With this segment we will provide the do' s and don' ts of hunting from a tree stand, so any information you could provide would be helpful in making this story on hunting safe from your tree stand, one that would prevent accidents..thanks.

If you have additional idea' s for shows let me know, please keep those suggestions coming..good hunting and thanks!

Dr. Mike
Old 08-17-2003, 10:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-17-2003, 01:04 PM

Default RE: Anyone fall out of a tree stand?

havent fallen out of my treestand thank God, almost fell out when i was building it though.

slayer
Old 08-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

When I shot my first deer I was so excited that I couldn' t tie my pull rope to my gun, so I decided to carry it down and climb with one hand. Well, I didn' t work, and I fell 22 feet, and landed on my back. It' s all good though, no harm done, just hopped up and ran to see my buck.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:29 PM

Still lucky enough not to have fallen, but I did have my foot climber fall out from under me when I was about 20 feet up. After doing the bear hug and skinning all of the bark off of that pine, I decided I would tie it off to my seat from now on. lol
Old 08-18-2003, 07:59 PM

I have about 6-7 wooden tree stands in my woods. Each summer I check them for loose, bad boards, bolts, etc. Usually end up bringing in at leat 3 of them for preventive maintenance. The first stand I checked this summer had a broken seat brace. A 2X6 had snapped in two. Fastened with a lag bolt, I still haven' t got the lag bolt out of the tree. I don' t plan on using that tree again, (A small Pine & it flexes too much in the wind.) I have 4 box blinds which I like; Entering and exiting are the only time you can fall. The highest, the floor is 10 feet up.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

there are several reasons you can have accidents in tree stands, assuming you are talking about climbing tree stands. trying to climb a smooth barked tree in wet weather is one of them. over the past 30 plus years i have had several incidents with tree stands. one time i was up about 25 ft and after setting up the stand i decided it needed to be moved further around the tree. i stepped back into the seat climber, put my feet in the straps on the stand and did not fasten the heel straps, zing, the platform went to the ground. took me awhile to shimmy down the tree to get it. to me the worst time is when you first get up in the stand and have not fastened your safety harness yet, and the other is when you are ready to come on down and take your harness off. i have never fallen out, but i did trip on my fold down seat after dark, went over the side and managed to loop my arm through the side of the stand, after doing a flip and almost twisting my arm off, i managed to get back into the stand. close call for sure.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:12 PM

I' m 18 and I have once
I was using a climbing treestand, and i always put my safety belt on when i get up and situated.
It was early november during rut, here in wisconsin and this last year it snowed 2 inches really early, and everything was really wet. i started to climb the slightly snow covered tree and got about 20 feet up, and i went to pull my self up one more time and my upper arm bar cought, but when i went to set the stand in place it didn' t catch enough, and when that started to slide, so did the part of the stand i use my arms to climb with, before i knew it my whole stand was falling to the ground with me strapped to it. I landed on the ground hard and on my back, it was one of the scarriest things ever, and when i look back, one of the stupidest things ever. No deer in the world is worth it when it comes to getting hurt, one stupid rock might have been there and i would have been paralyzed. No sports, and worse no more hunting.
I have been a lot more careful after that, it really opened my eyes.
And i when i looked up at the tree the stand engraved a big streak all the way down, so it was a combonation of stupidity and bad conditions.

Hopefully this can help you out, i hope atleast one other person can learn from it. If you have anyother questions about it let me know.

Old 08-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I learned never shoot a 12ga standing up sideways in a climbing stand.Did I fall out ?Yes.Down?No,my safety strap caught me.Did make me feel a bit stupid.[&:]
Old 08-18-2003, 09:39 PM

I had a similar experience to Buck Slayer' s once. I always hunt from the ground, but one year in muzzleloader season (early December), my cousin offered to let me borrow his treestand. He knew of a perfect spot where he already had a tree selected and shooting lanes cleared (he had hunted it in rifle season), and I knew the spot as well. It was at the intersection of three well-beaten deer trails.

That day the conditions were bad - freezing rain and sleet, as it had been the day before. I set up the stand with no problems, and I thought the gripping teeth on the climber would hold me with no problems on the ice-coated tree. I got about 10 feet up, when the stand just let go and dropped! Luckily, the base caught hold on a knot before I fell all the way to the ground. I had to take a minute to catch my breath , then I climbed down and spent the rest of the day on the ground!

Quick Reply: Anyone fall out of a tree stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.