Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Isnt this crazy?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default Isnt this crazy?

A 44-year-old man from Inverness, Illinois is dead after being shot while deer hunting Saturday morning in rural East Dubuque in Jo Davies County. Authorities say John P. Hanlon was killed by a single gunshot wound to the chest. Hanlon's 15-year-old son has been treated
and released from The Finley Hospital in Dubuque or a gunshot wound he suffered in the accident. Authorities say he was injured by the same gunshot that killed his father. The Jo Davies County Sheriff's Department, Menomine/Dunleith Fire and Ambulance, East Dubuque Police, Illinois State Police and the Illinois DNR responded to the scene of the hunting accident just after 5:30 am, near the intersection of Highway-20 and Dunn Road. After an investigation, 53-year-old Kelly G. Jackson of East Dubuque has been issued a citation by the Illinois Conservation Police, for Reckless Conduct. That's considered a misdemeanor. The incident remains under investigation. All three were deer hunting at the time of the accident.

He got charged with a damn misdemeanor so basicly this bone head is going to out deer hunting again most likely during the 2nd gun season I was walking to my hunting spot this day at 530 and it was pitch black in fact the cloud cover made it to where i couldnt shoot until well after 6:30 this is why i carry a flashlight at all times on public lands and i shine that sucker in all directions until im seated.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldnt dog this guy...im sure he doesnt feel good at all about what happened. it sux he learned the hard way about checking behind the target...or makin sure of his target from the get..
his son is lucky to be alive, could have easily been both of them.
You wont find me and my kids on any rifle public lands, this is exactly the reason.... you can be safe as all get out, and one dumazz comes along and wipes you out....oops.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

you think he wants to go out in the second season after this happening? probably not. i know most people would quit hunting for a good while.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

i would hope he would quit hunting my god at 50 years old you should not be shooting at sounds in the dark.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery
i would hope he would quit hunting my god at 50 years old you should not be shooting at sounds in the dark.
Carefull Blackhawk. I am over 50 years old and I can take offense at that. Think before you type. Yes, you should not shoot at or toward sounds period. But watch the age thing makes people jummpy

CVG Ohio
Old 11-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CVG Ohio
Carefull Blackhawk. I am over 50 years old and I can take offense at that. Think before you type. Yes, you should not shoot at or toward sounds period. But watch the age thing makes people jummpy

CVG Ohio
wouldnt wanna offend the Mighty CVG...or old people at that.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Spike

CVG Ohio

I think all he was saying is that at 50 years old he should have known better. Saying things like that make people jumpy.

First of all he should have had his license revoked forever. He should not be allowed in the woods PERIOD after a dumb act like that.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by afternooner319

CVG Ohio

I think all he was saying is that at 50 years old he should have known better. Saying things like that make people jumpy.

First of all he should have had his license revoked forever. He should not be allowed in the woods PERIOD after a dumb act like that.
Thats what I was saying he should have known better and I agree he should be facing something a little harsher then a ticket,I know accidents happen but there is no excuse for something like this.I wasn't making fun of 50 year olds heck we all will be that age sooner or later.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

That's awful. I don't know if you can get inside the head of another person and see what they are thinking but its certainly possible it was an act of anger and frustration. Then again, it could just have been an extremely irresponsible person making a colossally foolish and tragic error.

Sometimes people forget, we are hunting with deadly weapons in our hands. Of course, we drive to work in an equally deadly weapon prone to accidents every day, so......still, I am super uptight about gun safety with my kids and wife and anyone else I hunt with but as in this case and in driving down the highway....its always the 'other guy'...
Old 11-22-2011, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

This topic is getting pretty heavy. Would you all like to hear my story about what it was like in Normandy during June 1944?

No wait, I WASN'T THERE...

Let me tell a story about something I WAS "there" for though. When I was a boy in high school, two good friends (16yr old girls I'd literally known my entire life, did a lot of ranch work for both of their dad's, good family friends, two neighbor girls that were closer than sisters) were driving on a Friday night and rolled their car. The driver, Molly, spent 3 weeks in the hospital, but the passenger, Megan, was killed.

About 2months later, only a few weeks after the driver returned to school, she shot herself. She left a note apologizing to everyone that thought "she had killed Megan", and stating that she couldn't take hearing the whispers and seeing people point at school anymore.

Obviously, Molly felt awful about what happened, but everyone was throwing rumors that Molly was drunk, or driving too fast, etc etc, all of which the state patrol examiners and medical examiners proved false. Very like this thread itself, a lot of people were suggesting that Molly face AT LEAST manslaughter charges, if not murder charges, even though there were no formal charges and not even a ticket issued to Molly, the driver. Molly was still in a coma during Megan's funeral, so she couldn't even be there for her best friends' funeral. A few weeks later, the coma was forgotten, and people were telling the rumor that "Molly was so guilt ridden she didn't even come to Megan's funeral". The worst part was that it wasn't even just the high school kids telling rumors, it was the school staff, and the people in town.

Talk in the hallways turned one tragic death into two. None of those kids (ashamedly, myself included) were there, but they sure did pass the gossip, and assign a lot of blame.

Frankly, no, nobody should shoot at sounds in the dark, but none of us know that that's what happened. For all we know, the dad and son confronted the guy about hunting in their spot and threatened him, making the shooting self defense. Or maybe it was a moon lit night and the dad was carrying rattling antlers hanging over his shoulders with the kid closely behind. Either is possible as far as I'm concerned. I wasn't there to know what happened, so who am I to say how it went down, and what the consequences should be for it? Would you still suggest felony charges if it was the dad, hunting with his son, or the 15yr old kid himself that had accidentally shot the 53yr old man instead?

Moral of the story? Don't pi$$ on someone else's shoes unless you're sure of where they've been.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.