Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wheres the deer?

Old 11-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wheres the deer?

Hey guys/gals, where are all the deer? Here in the general Cincinnati, Ohio area the deer seem to be moving slow. The rut as well was almost non-existant. Is it me or what? The past 10-15 years I guess I have been self spoiled due to the fact that by this time of year I usually have 4-5 in the freezer(Not bragging, just don't understand this year) and this year I only have one doe... You guys/gals notice any changes that I may be overlooking??? Let me know. I like to get a variety of opinions and views from others that are as dedicated to bow hunting deer as I am. Maybe together we can help each other out as well as others that may have the same or similar issues. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

I am right there with you.....it is very frustrating....I hunt in Glen Este, and Dearborn County Indiana.....very little movement....I know the temps have been on the higher side, but I can't remember anything like this!! I have a new property to hunt in Glen Este....60 acres surrounded by a nature preserve.....I thought I had hit the jackpot!! I have seen only 2 does this season....that's it!!! I am hoping the deer start moving soon....I saw a doe still with her yearling in Indiana on Saturday...this leads me to believe she has not been bred yet...maybe...just maybe....the rut is going to be late this year....WHO KNOWS!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Having a good year here in Illinois should of had a couple nice bucks 12-15 pointers but my freezer is full of prime red meat and the season goes until January I have a buck tag for archery and a doe tag for the next gun season,what works best for me is not hunting out of deer stands I am always changing my location to different parts of the timber.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

I am constantly changing tree stand locations based on lack of deer movement, and I'm always using the wind to my favor so just don't know what the problem is... Figure it might be the warmer temps and that they really sem to be 2-3 weeks behind their normal schedule. Oh well, I'll be back at it Thursday and all day Friday this week and see what happens.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Not much moving here in Connecticut. Most of my friends and hunting peeps noticed the same. Rut is way-late, too warm.

Slow.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same story here in Central, MD for me. My logic is there are too many does, but I actually am not seeing many of them either. It's been down right slow and we didn't have a typical chasing phase. I saw some younger bucks chasing but no big boys. They called for a classic rut, but it didn't/isn't happening where I'm hunting.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

I am wondering if the rut will be later this year?? I know that deer will rut regardless, but I have not seen any rutting activity.....I do not have a logical answer for what is going on....
Old 11-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Spike

Same here. Rut is non-existent in southern NY. The two point, three point and four point I have seen so far were on there own. no chasing at all. The woods seem very dead. I think the early 12" of snow we had in October throw things off a bit. I just hope they don't think it's spring time now. Laugh
Old 11-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Same here in central Ky. This has been the strangest rut I have ever seen in my 31 years of bowhunting. I've seen bucks on three different trailcams eating corn and have does walk by them and they don't pay any attention to them at all.

Last edited by Ky Bob; 11-21-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Spike

Upstate New York has been the same guys. I didn't see a buck with a doe until sunday 11/13. I have seen 20 deer total since october 18th. Usually I have seen double that by now. I had a good buck bedded under my stand going back in saturday afternoon, I could see horns at 100 yards without optics, in brush, running away. I'm staying all day thursday! Good luck everyone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.