HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Probably my last season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/353936-probably-my-last-season.html)

Whackadeer 11-19-2011 02:04 PM

Probably my last season

Here's my story. 25 years or so ago I lost my best friend and hunting buddy to cancer. I just lost all interest in hunting. 3 years ago I decided it was time to start hunting again. Now I had to buy a bow, shotgun and ML, tree stands and blind and all the normal things. The only land I could find to hunt is a small woods surrounded by farm fields seemed ideal. Let me say that either land owners do not allow hunting around here or they already have people hunting it. I do not hunt public land since I have had stands stolen and a slug hit a tree I was in, too many idiots. So I have been hunting this ground from different stands blinds etc. and in three years have not seen a deer, none. Not even on camera. There are tracks but must be completely nocturnal. I am giving up, I will go back out next weekend but I have spent time and money on something I love and am too frustrated too keep it up. Sorry for the long post and rant but I just needed to vent.

monkeyman2269 11-19-2011 02:12 PM

Go get a new property

afd33 11-19-2011 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by monkeyman2269 (Post 3878483)
Go get a new property

OR.. (since I read your post and understand that getting new property isn't the answer).. If you haven't, try a food plot, mineral site, baiting (if legal). I guess if all of that has been tried, I wouldn't so much as give up as I would take a year or two off, and see if there is room anywhere else. Do you have any friends or family that hunt? That's how I've been lucky to find a few nice places. I don't see a whole lot of deer, but I guess I hunt more for the whole experience of being outdoors and observing all the other little things as well.

Mr. Longbeard 11-19-2011 05:51 PM

I think he was leaning more towards one of you guys giving him the invite :wink:

VAhuntr 11-19-2011 06:04 PM

I understand how frustrating a lack of hunting land can be. Keep your options open and look for some land to lease or possibly join a lease. Good luck and good hunting.

jrbsr 11-19-2011 07:06 PM

Find a hunting club to join.
I know how you feel about not having a place to hunt.
You just gotta keep trying.
Never give up.
Remember Quiters never Win, and Winners Never Quit.

JMHO

isatarak 11-19-2011 08:18 PM

If I didn't own my own hunting land, I would probably quit hunting too.

Bocajnala 11-19-2011 08:39 PM

I wouldn't quit. There's always one more thing you can do. And that's the truth. Explore other options, talk to people, eventually something will come up. Good luck, hate to see a hunter walk away from something they love.
-Jake

Horacio 11-19-2011 09:51 PM

I would say that its time to change the rules and try something different. I know it can be prohibitively expensive, but I would suggest contacting an outfitter or guide that can put you on a deer.

As someone else suggested, depending on the laws and regs in your state/region, perhaps try tossing out some corn or a block, or any number of baits available. I know it can get into a heated debate because someplaces its legal and some places its not but in your situation, I think (if its legal) its fine. The bottom line is getting a deer and putting some venison in the freezer.

Whackadeer 11-19-2011 10:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was not trying to get an invite. Not legal to bait but put salt, peanut butter and Buck Jam out before season nothing on cams. Made mock scrape with dripper also. If I could afford a lease I would even though I am hunting for meat not a trophy. All I have seen other than squirrels was last year I saw two yotes . I also have pics of tracks about the size of my palm that look like cougar.I know we aren't supposed to have cougars in Indiana but they sure look like it. Will post them for your opinion. The green is a latex glove