HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Man dies after struggle with deer in N.E. Indiana.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/353714-man-dies-after-struggle-deer-n-e-indiana.html)

Buckhunter46755 11-16-2011 07:17 AM

Man dies after struggle with deer in N.E. Indiana....

Oh man...this happened a few miles from where I live. This is just awful. There are actually a lot of people out there that don't realize how dangerous a deer can be. Especially when injured and trying to escape. I've personally been charged by a deer on 2 seperate occasions. Both where injured. One was one I had shot and had to finish off. The other was previously injured by another hunter and approached me while I was walking in the woods to my stand. The first one I was able to dispatch with a second shot. The second one the deer took off after I repeatedly yelled at it. I didnt have my CB ****ed on the second one so wasn't able to shoot it. Though I couldn't see any visible injury it walked right up to me. A buddy was with me on the second one and said he never seen such a thing. We had to actually hide behind trees because it kept running at us. Scared the crap out of me both times. Here is the article.....

http://www.fwdailynews.com/index.php...ticle&id=15038

nchawkeye 11-16-2011 10:16 AM

And who was is questioning about why you shouldn't try to dispatch a wounded deer with a knife???

Another slug to the neck would have prevented this...Sad...

warbirdlover 11-16-2011 10:51 AM

Whitetail bucks are powerful animals and have a number of weapons, horns, hoofs and kicking. A 250 lb. whitetail buck can easily kill a human.

Buckhunter46755 11-16-2011 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 3877103)
And who was is questioning about why you shouldn't try to dispatch a wounded deer with a knife???

Another slug to the neck would have prevented this...Sad...

Exactly... and yes it is very sad. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Crazy things happen. Apparently from the article and his phone calls with his son, when he approached the deer, he definately thought it was dead,. I can surely see this as a freak accident.... Since he was attending the reduction hunt, Im sure he was a well experienced hunter. The deer was probably laying there stock still, then jumped up when he got close. I've honostly seen them do that a couple of times. :(

zmschillin 11-17-2011 07:41 AM

A friend of mine had a family member that was injured trying to put down his wounded deer. He was trying to cut the deers throat with a knife when the buck threw his head back and the guys knife went across his knee slicing the tendon.

ADVWannabee 11-17-2011 08:39 AM

I have only had to finish off one deer and I did it with a .45 ACP. I have never given it too much thought that a deer could get up and attack you though and will definitely be more careful when approaching a downed deer from now on.

My prayers go out to the man's family.

skb2706 11-17-2011 11:39 AM

I wear a permanent scar on my chin from attempting to cut one that decided, even after I had poked it in the eye with my rifle that he needed to get up and kick the crap out of me. He won the battle, I won the war.

Very sad......sorry to hear these kinds of things but I've seen it.

BarnesX.308 11-17-2011 01:33 PM

I never understood someone wanting to kill a deer by slitting its throat over just shooting it again.

bhensley 11-17-2011 01:48 PM

Sad deal. Had a friend who shot a deer, walked up and thought it was dead. When he was picking it up it started thrashing its head around and stuck an antler clear through his forearm. went between the bones so other than stiches on both sides of his arm he was ok.

petasux 11-18-2011 05:40 AM

Had a buddy hit one with his car when we were in high school.It was bow season and he took his bow out into the weeds where the buck ran to and fell over.Another kid was with him and wasnt a licensed hunter so was unarmed at the time.They were expecting a dead deer and really only took the bow in case it needed to be put down.

Long story short the buck wasnt dead, the bow wasnt really usefull in the thick weeds, and the kid that had the bow got an ambulance ride to the hospital, he came out allright but got the crap kicked out of him.Never did locate his bow when they went back out to look for it.

Wounded deer that feel cornered can be real unpredictable.