HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Took a little 8 point this evening. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/353617-took-little-8-point-evening.html)

dpv 11-14-2011 09:30 PM

Took a little 8 point this evening.

Came home from work and hurried out to the stand....got in the tree 15 minutes before the sun began to set. I didnt' shower, or use scent control or anything that makes sense. I just climbed up in the tree and waited...I was also listening in to a conference call for work. Earphone in both ears. I pulled one of them out and let it dangle as I lstened to people hash out a problem at work. I heard a deer moving thru the woods and could see one but couldn't make out what it was. My call dropped and I had to dial back in. I think the tones of me punching the call scared the animal off. I was half paying attention and then I saw movement coming my way...then I saw antlers.....since I wasn't needed on the call, I hit the button to terminate it and raised my crossbow. As he came into my shooting lane, I squeezed off the shot. I hit lower than I thought but it seems that I cut some major arteries at the top of his legs and he bled out after 60 yds of full on run. The arrow went thru the top of the leg, thru the bottom of the chest, then thru the oposite side leg. Didn't hit lungs or heart. Had a ton of blood in the chest but the trail was like taking a sunday stroll in the park. Blood heavy and constant.

He certainly isn't the largest deer in the woods but I'm happy with him.

Tundra10 11-14-2011 10:10 PM

Congrats!:rock::rock:

doetrain 11-14-2011 11:08 PM

Don't you love it when a plan comes together,good job and a nice Buck.

7.62NATO 11-15-2011 09:37 AM

Good deal, DPV. Now that's what I call a lucky shot! Funny thing is that you put a better shot on that bruiser you lost to the coyotes. But that's just the way it goes sometimes. Glad this one was an easy recovery for you.

I thought you had a smoke pole...you just prefer the crossbow?

Bocajnala 11-15-2011 03:54 PM

Nice buck, good thing you managed a good shot, those low shots can suck bad!
-Jake

rustynobles 11-15-2011 04:23 PM

Nice. That's what I call a good hunt 15 minutes before sundown.

dpv 11-15-2011 05:14 PM

That little guy was an Urban buck. I prefer firearms but have more luck with crossbow. I'm in a rural area and am able to hunt a couple spots very close to home but it's only bow or crossbow around here. I've hung several cameras and managed to pattern the does pretty well. The bucks are less predictable, but the thing that they seem to do consistently is follow the does.
I really like a full day of hunting in the big woods with a rifle but this lets me get out often and also puts meat in the freezer.
I forgot to mention that I was shooting 3 blade muzzy 100 gr broadheads.