Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Getting a night time buck

Old 11-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Getting a night time buck

Been watching this buck for a while on my trail cam. Was hoping with the rut coming in he would change his pattern but he seems to come out like clock work later at night. Have done some scouting earlier to see about getting closer to his bedding area but have a feeling its not on my property I hunt. Property is only 150 acres, with a swamp on the back side fed by a creek on another.

Only sat on this stand a couple times since beginning of Oct. Use my trail cam to keep an eye on things and its always filled with nighttime pics from 9pm to 5am. Path is beaten down so bad the leaves are confetti going into a cut corn field.

Anyone got any tips or hints to get them to move to my property earlier?

Going to try some rattling and calling this afternoon hoping he hears it.
Attached Thumbnails Getting a night time buck-sunp0047.jpg  
Old 11-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

That'd be a tough one. If you had access to the bedding area I would say set up closer or very carefully still hunt in for a shot. Without access to his bedding area your best chance is probably for him to just make a mistake. The rut is when that'll happen. So just time in the woods is best. Once a deer is nocturnal, not much moves him. I don't suppose getting permission to hunt the neighboring property is an option?
-Jake
Old 11-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Nope, sitting in my stand this afternoon I heard the combine going on the property. Figured I have a 50/50 chance of him coming over early towards me or him chilling and wait till they are done for evening snack.

Next weekend regular gun season will begin and they will be running dogs. Can only hope he runs to my side of the creek to avoid them.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
Nope, sitting in my stand this afternoon I heard the combine going on the property. Figured I have a 50/50 chance of him coming over early towards me or him chilling and wait till they are done for evening snack.

Next weekend regular gun season will begin and they will be running dogs. Can only hope he runs to my side of the creek to avoid them.
let me tell you how that's gonna go. I just had it happen to me this morning.

got a nice buck on cam, set up a good stand in his bed. sat there Fri morning seen him but no clear shot. went back this morning sat till 10:30 and I here a couple dogs workin. I say here we go, they come in mull around behind me, go about 70 yrds to my left and come unglued. I say it's on baby. wrong, the damn dogs pushed the deer back the other way off the property 3 gunshots later (not from me) I go back to the camp. 20 min later my buck goes by ontop a dog box. the dogs ran through 600 acres of my land got my deer and ran goo acres back out. I am a little more than pissed right now.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

That sucks Night Crawler.. I can only hope he makes its through dog season here and is even bigger next yr.

and on my hunting property.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
let me tell you how that's gonna go. I just had it happen to me this morning.

got a nice buck on cam, set up a good stand in his bed. sat there Fri morning seen him but no clear shot. went back this morning sat till 10:30 and I here a couple dogs workin. I say here we go, they come in mull around behind me, go about 70 yrds to my left and come unglued. I say it's on baby. wrong, the damn dogs pushed the deer back the other way off the property 3 gunshots later (not from me) I go back to the camp. 20 min later my buck goes by ontop a dog box. the dogs ran through 600 acres of my land got my deer and ran goo acres back out. I am a little more than pissed right now.
I hate it for you buddy, but that' hunting in Eastern, NC. I don't dog hunt myself, but I just kind of expect stuff like that to happen. There's nothing we as still hunters can do about it, and you can't really be pissed at the dogs anyway.

As for waiting out that buck, I'd do just that, he'll come out...
Old 11-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

crossbow+1x red dot= dead deer
get out there at night, its not where they are as much as when they are there
Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by logancbeeman
crossbow+1x red dot= dead deer
get out there at night, its not where they are as much as when they are there
What in the world is a crossbow going to do with a red dot at night that my compound can't do or my blackpowder rifle? Its dark and won't see crap with any of them. Unless you wanna buy a thermal scope or use nightvision scope or goggles.

Also no hunting 30 minutes after sunset. So at 9pm when he shows, the game warden will like to have a word with you.

I am not going to break any law for any deer.