Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Virginia Muzzle Loader Buck - my best yet. >

Virginia Muzzle Loader Buck - my best yet.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Virginia Muzzle Loader Buck - my best yet.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!! Way bigger than my VA buck this year.

BTW, it's a requirement that you post your load (bullet/powder weight).
Old 11-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Spike

Nice Buck!
I can't wait for Massachusetts Muzzle loader.

http://huntingmassachusetts.blogspot.com
Old 11-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spectacular
Old 11-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by hubby11
Congrats!! Way bigger than my VA buck this year.

BTW, it's a requirement that you post your load (bullet/powder weight).
250 grain shockwave bullet pushed by 150 grains of pyrodex powder was the load. Did the trick, but not a very good blood trail.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Very nice, The rack looks very symmetrical, (is that spelled correct?)
I enjoy the black powder shoot also. Doc

Last edited by DocD; 11-13-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Spike

Nice looking 8 pt. Very symmetrical and mature enough to be a keeper. I have a few questions, I'm in Hanover, VA...where was the deer harvested? Have you just recently seen a fair sign that the rut is picking up? Did you have any scent out or did you just use the bleat to get him within range?

I have my share of time in stand this year, since October 1 for archery season. Every year I have busted a nice buck on opener of muzzleloader season but I haven't had this bad of a season in 4 years! Last eve I had a bruiser snort wheeze at my location after having a thinks bomb out and a few cadences with my rack, but he stayed out of distance, which gave me the thought of him being a wise, mature buck that wasn't playing my game. Haven't seen the does like past years either.

Did your buck smell like he was in full rut? I'm not sure what's up this year because I'm seeing scrapes and rubs, a few bucks (2 shooters) but none are acting like the rut is on. Its been on and off from a few comments from buddy hunters with a handful of shooters taken in archery, but not alot this muzzleloader season...yet. With the new moon week free next, Wednesday to Friday is supposed to be hot.

I'm spending the mornings this week in stand and maybe an afternoon hunt or two due to business obligations, but i was wondering where in VA, and how was the smell? Thanks in advance...badly searching for the areas rut report.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

I work in Rockville, and only seen little chase. I live in King and Queen. Saw a buck saturday morning nose to the ground, but when I bleated at him he didn't pay me any attention. Shot a 9pointer last saturday and he was hot and bothered for a doe. I was calling at a doe when he came charging in. I surprised him though. This has been a tough season with the hurricane damage and temp changes.

Originally Posted by hardwoodhank
Nice looking 8 pt. Very symmetrical and mature enough to be a keeper. I have a few questions, I'm in Hanover, VA...where was the deer harvested? Have you just recently seen a fair sign that the rut is picking up? Did you have any scent out or did you just use the bleat to get him within range?

I have my share of time in stand this year, since October 1 for archery season. Every year I have busted a nice buck on opener of muzzleloader season but I haven't had this bad of a season in 4 years! Last eve I had a bruiser snort wheeze at my location after having a thinks bomb out and a few cadences with my rack, but he stayed out of distance, which gave me the thought of him being a wise, mature buck that wasn't playing my game. Haven't seen the does like past years either.

Did your buck smell like he was in full rut? I'm not sure what's up this year because I'm seeing scrapes and rubs, a few bucks (2 shooters) but none are acting like the rut is on. Its been on and off from a few comments from buddy hunters with a handful of shooters taken in archery, but not alot this muzzleloader season...yet. With the new moon week free next, Wednesday to Friday is supposed to be hot.

I'm spending the mornings this week in stand and maybe an afternoon hunt or two due to business obligations, but i was wondering where in VA, and how was the smell? Thanks in advance...badly searching for the areas rut report.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by hardwoodhank

I am in Loudoun county, and it seems like the rut is on here. He is actually a 9 point, and not quite symmetrical. Great height on the rack and about 18 inches of spread.

I did not use any scent, but I have seen a lot of bucks. I passed up a smaller 8 point on opening day and saw probably 7-8 other bucks, most of them pretty small.

This guy did smell strong like a rutting buck. I am going to be in the woods again this week a couple times hunting with my dad. Good luck to you!
Old 11-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats! Nice deer!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice buck !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.