Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Virginia Muzzle Loader Buck - my best yet. >

Virginia Muzzle Loader Buck - my best yet.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Virginia Muzzle Loader Buck - my best yet.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 AM
Spike

Default Virginia Muzzle Loader Buck - my best yet.

After 10 years of asking, my wife finally agreed to join me in the stand for a hunt. She had a good time sitting with me watching the sun come up, but she was fidgeting and wiggling so much we didn't see any deer. Bummer of a way to end your first hunt.

I went back out that afternoon, but it didn't seem like much was moving. I saw 2 does moving fast about a hundred yards up the trail, then nothing for 2 hours. I did hear a doe bleating, so I started hitting the bleat call myself. Light was running out, and I was about to call it a night. When I stood up to climb down, I saw BONE. This big buck came out directly in front of my stand, about 75 yards away. He was sniffing the ground. Looking for a doe. Last legal shooting light was fast approaching, so I found his front shoulder in the scope and squeezed one off.

He ran hurt straight towards me and then into some very thick cover. I didn't have time to do a long track then, and I wasn't sure how far he had run. I had to go teach a class, so I decided to back out and give him time. I called a buddy to help me track him after my class and we went back out. We couldn't find any blood, but we kept looking through the thick cover and I walked right up on the buck. He only made it 20 yards, perfect double lung shot and he never stood a chance against the 50 cal thompson center.

He is my best buck yet, glad I stayed in the woods and hunted hard.

Attached Thumbnails Virginia Muzzle Loader Buck - my best yet.-385293_2702692329839_1332639396_4690132_914633214_n.jpg  

Last edited by jrbsr; 11-11-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Spike

Nice buck! Congrats! Gotta love dem T/C's
Old 11-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Beautiful buck man, congratz
Old 11-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Your mileage may vary but my wife is the reason that I drag myself out of bed to sit in the cold, several hours of peace and quiet. If I was walking my wife into the woods I would have a shovel and some lye not a muzzle loader and black powder.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations on a nice buck.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice man.... I hope my T/C gets to take one like that on opening day tomarrow here in Indiana.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
Your mileage may vary but my wife is the reason that I drag myself out of bed to sit in the cold, several hours of peace and quiet. If I was walking my wife into the woods I would have a shovel and some lye not a muzzle loader and black powder.
Flyinlowe that is a bummer. I am one of the lucky ones, I married my best friend that happens to be a few miles out of my league as a bonus. She is truly an amazing woman, even if she can't sit still in the tree stand!

Have gotten her interested in the shooting sports, but not yet hooked on hunting. Need to try again so she can feel the excitement of seeing deer.

Still, everyone loves a bit of peace and quiet, right?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:48 AM
Spike

Justin, congrats. on the 8pt. He's a nice one. Also, way to go on finding a good woman! In my quest I have found that even though big bucks are hard to come by, a good woman is even harder!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:23 AM
dpv
Typical Buck

That's a good looking deer. I'm slowly getting my kids hooked on hunting. Wife has always been supportive but no way she could sit in the cold....and the kids would have to be starving before she would shoot an animal.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats, hes a great looking buck..

Like you I been asking the wife to go.. Got her a bow a yr ago she loves to shoot and "might" go hunting next yr. Right now I get the whole, its cold, early, would rather sleep in responses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.